RSLogix: Communicate with PLC as a Generic Ethernet Module

DanK99

I'm trying to connect a Beckhoff Controller to a Rockwell Controller (I'll get more specific in a little bit) so that the Beckhoff is the master. Beckhoff said they had a solution, but they said it would require connecting to the Rockwell Controller as a Generic Ethernet Module.

To test this out on my own, I have been trying to connect a 1756-L61 to a 1769-L30ER (just what we had around the office). The 1756-L61 is communicating through a 1756-EN2T. I'm using RSLogix 5000.

I attached a picture of the configuration that I used for the Generic Ethernet Modules. Both use the same configuration (besides the IP Address).

I get a Module Fault of (Code 16#0315) and in the help it basically says you get that error when the Electronic Key passed but wasn't an "Exact Match". It says it happens when the actual module is different than the module in the I/O configuration tree.

When I look in the Module Info tab of the Generic Ethernet Module, it actually does tell me what its trying to communicate with, but it says the Module Identity is "Mismatch"

Am I just trying to do something that isn't possible? Anyone out there get this to work before? Any help is greatly appreciated! Let me know if there was any vital information that I left out.

GenEtherMod.png

The simple answer is "it just doesn't work that way". The ControlLogix and CompactLogix cannot act as EtherNet/IP I/O adapters. They are always the initiator of a cyclic I/O connection to a Generic Ethernet Module object, never the target.

Forum member Yosi F. and I fiddled around with this sort of connection using a Wago 750 series controller as the master a few months ago and I don't think we ever found a way to make it work.

Which Beckhoff controller are you using ? I had a salesman tell me that the CX8095 will "connect to a ControlLogix, no problem", and the product documentation says it can be an EtherNet/IP Slave, but I haven't had the time to put his claim to the test.

The Beckhoff controllers can be an Ethernet/IP slave to a ControlLogix, but requires the Ethernet/IP slave supplement to be installed on the controller. I have done this several times and it works well. The current documentation from Beckhoff is outdated and no longer matches the latest TwinCAT software.

I've slaved a beckhoff controller to an AB controller a couple times before. But this time I want the beckhoff to be the master so that I can connect multiple AB controllers to the beckhoff.

Apparently I'll have to look at other solutions then.

Thank you for the replies!

My guess is that Beckhoff is not interested in making an Ethernet/IP scanner(master) since it would be in direct competition with their EtherCAT (which in my opinion is a better protocol).

I think an option would be to create produced/consumed tags between the AB controllers, make the Beckhoff a slave to one, then use a few rungs of logic to move the data around. Not exactly the cleanest solution.

Archie, I am also trying to use a Beckhoff CX5010 to communicate with an AB PLC. do you have any documentation on how you set up the beckhoff? I have been on the beckhoff website and talked to tech at beckhoff and not getting anywhere.

Archie, I am also trying to use a Beckhoff CX5010 to communicate with an AB PLC. do you have any documentation on how you set up the beckhoff? I have been on the beckhoff website and talked to tech at beckhoff and not getting anywhere.
Did you install the Ethernet/IP for CE supplement in the CX5010?

When you add the Ethernet/IP slave to your System Manager, use the Legacy Slave.

This is the document by Beckhoff:

http://infosys.beckhoff.com/english...tipslave/html/tcethernetipslave_intro.htm&id=

Make sure your Assembly Instance and sizes are correct.

Hi to all,

I am new to this form.

I am going to do project with beckhoff cx9020 controller.

I want to communicate beckhoff cx9020 as slave and I purchased the supplementary.

I was trying to connect but AB to beckhoff communication is not happening.

I checked Infosys and found some guidelines how to communicate but now the option which is there it is not available in newer version.

I am using Newer twincat version.

Can any one help me on this.

Place an explicit value on "Newer", so other users will be able to check their software to see if it matches.