RSLogix emergency disk access

jimmyo

HI,

I'm new to PLCs and rslogix. I was concerned about the floppy getting messed up so I tried to copy the license before I read that it will destroy it. My Emergency disk does still work.

I bought the software on Ebay along with my SLC 500 and I'm in the process of getting the registration transferred, after the happens they will send me a new disk.

I only have one computer with a floppy and it's not portable, so I installed rslogix on my laptop and mapped the a drive from the other computer. Set the Master key = true and it checks the A: drive and says no licenses available. I know they're all gone, But how do I use the emergency disk, with no licenses on it, through a mapped drive?

Any Suggestions would be appreciated!

Maybe I am wrong about this, but you bought your software on Ebay, installed it, and the License key is missing or corrupt, am I right?

It had the license on the disk and it worked fine until I messed it up. It still works in the machine which has a floppy. No factory talk it's v4.5. I called Rockwell to transfer the software which I believe I bought legally. If it's not legal I will be glad to sick the dogs on the personal who sold it.

The nice gentleman at Rockwell suggested I upgrade to factory talk once the registration is transferred.

Anyway, apparently I can't get it running on this computer until I get a new floppy or I upgrade to factory talk. I'm sending my wife out for a usb floppy today. Will update you on both accounts if interested.

Works with Mac!

Haven't reached a solution with AB yet, the local dealer thought I would need a bill of sale and I'll be good to go.

I was able to use a verbatim brand external USB floppy drive to activate the RSLogix software I installed on my Macbook running Windows XP in a VMWare virtual machine. I connected the SLC500 with a Prolific USB to Serial cable and null modem adapter. Everything works great.

Hopefully the registration won't be too painful. The ebay store I bought it from says she bought it at auction.

I'm pretty impressed that you were able to work through so many abstraction layers with the activation diskette and with the serial port !

Software licenses are contractual relationships, not simple possessions. To transfer one you need the permission of its legal owner, not just the person who has the diskette in their hands.

The way I would handle it is to have Rockwell Automation give you the name and address of the actual legal software license owner (they can look it up from the Serial Number), and you can contact him or her to get them to sign the license transfer form.

Last note: version 4.5 of RSLogix 500 was released in November of 2000. During the Clinton Administration. Before Windows XP. Rockwell Automation has done a little work on it since then.

Last edited: