RSLogix500 - Importing/Exporting Rung Comments

smohamed

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a program for a SLC 5/05 controller using RSLogix500 v. 7.30.10 (CPR 9). We have a number of the same little programs, that differ only by tags. I was able to import/export the tag database, so I can change the tags.

However, my problem lies in terms of the rung comments. In the comments the person who wrote the program included tag names in there. Nonetheless, I was looking for a way if there was to export change and then import the comments back in.

I was able to export them to a .TXT file using the "AB APS" command under DATABSE>ASCII EXPORT, but could not find a way to import it back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

For what you want to do, it might be easiest to use the Database Editor built into RSLogix500.

On the left pane toward the bottom, look for the Database folder, and under it double click on the "Rung Comments/Page Titles" icon.

That opens a dialog that allows searching for text and editing it.

Note that this database can contain orphaned comments if, for example, an address has been changed and its associated rung comment is no longer visible.

The rung comments can be associated with the program in two different ways. It can be done based on the file number and rung number, or based on the last output instruction on the rung. The column labeled "File:Rung" will show a data table address if the comment is associated with an output instruction, or a value like "2:120" if it associated with a file:rung number.

The benefit to associating the rung comment with the output instruction is that it will always show up on the correct rung, whereas with the file:rung method, it is possible to screw that all up by inserting rungs via copy/paste. The drawback to using the output address for association is that it will appear on every rung that has that output address as the last instruction. For example, if you have twenty rungs that MOV a value into an alarm register, you may not want the same comment to appear on all 20 of those rungs.

Also, for the SLC address comments, you can export and import as a .csv file and use excel to quickly edit those comments. I think that you may have already figured that out, though.

Paul

For what you want to do, it might be easiest to use the Database Editor built into RSLogix500.

On the left pane toward the bottom, look for the Database folder, and under it double click on the "Rung Comments/Page Titles" icon.

That opens a dialog that allows searching for text and editing it.

Note that this database can contain orphaned comments if, for example, an address has been changed and its associated rung comment is no longer visible.

The rung comments can be associated with the program in two different ways. It can be done based on the file number and rung number, or based on the last output instruction on the rung. The column labeled "File:Rung" will show a data table address if the comment is associated with an output instruction, or a value like "2:120" if it associated with a file:rung number.

The benefit to associating the rung comment with the output instruction is that it will always show up on the correct rung, whereas with the file:rung method, it is possible to screw that all up by inserting rungs via copy/paste. The drawback to using the output address for association is that it will appear on every rung that has that output address as the last instruction. For example, if you have twenty rungs that MOV a value into an alarm register, you may not want the same comment to appear on all 20 of those rungs.

Also, for the SLC address comments, you can export and import as a .csv file and use excel to quickly edit those comments. I think that you may have already figured that out, though.

Paul

Paul,

Never realized that the Rung Comments/Page Titles had a search/replace function. Guess I should have looked a bit harder when I was in there.

I appreciate it, thanks so much!

The benefit to associating the rung comment with the output instruction is that it will always show up on the correct rung, whereas with the file:rung method, it is possible to screw that all up by inserting rungs via copy/paste.

well, yes in some case ...

but as long as you just use ONE documentation file (RSS/RSP) the software will automatically adjust the positioning of the rung comments as you add or delete rungs – even if you're working above a comment which has been "File/Rung" attached ... specifically, you normally won't have a problem when you add or delete rungs ...

but ...

if you use the File/Rung attachment method, a problem CAN show up later if someone goes online using an OLD documentation file ... usually this happens when there are two or three laptops being used by different plant technicians – and the documentation files aren't strictly kept up to date ... oops! ... Bob added some new rungs with HIS laptop last night, and now suddenly the rung comments don't "line up" with the proper rungs anymore when Jim goes online with his own laptop ...

this is the effect that my distinguished colleague OkiePC was talking about – and it definitely can spoil your day ...

fortunately the software does have a couple of little-known tools to help straighten things out ... (there's no MAGIC here – but it's way better than nothing) ... anyway from the RSLogix main menu, check out the "Tools/Database/Adjust Rung Offset" feature ... this allows you to increase or decrease the rung numbers that the comments are tied to – but YOU have tell it how many notches to add or subtract ...

and while you're in that area, you might want to check out the "Convert Rung Attachment" feature too ... this comes in handy if you want to make wholesale changes to how your rung comments are attached to the rungs ...

anyway ... unless you have a specific reason to change, the most reliable way to attach your rung comments is to use the Output Address method that OkiePC suggested ... the places where this usually gives a problem is when using TONs and their RES instructions ... also a Latch and an Unlatch rung will often take on the same comment – because both of those instructions share the same address ...

so ... as long as the comments are tied to the addresses (not to the rung numbers) Jim's OLD file will still show the comments properly lined up with their appropriate rungs – even if Bob has added or deleted a few rungs using another laptop ...

and by the way, another handy "Database" tool is the "Delete Unused Addresses" feature ... in most cases this will clear out any "orphan" comments and descriptions for addresses that are no longer used in your program ... your processor won't notice the difference – but sometimes it helps to "neaten things up" in the documentation file ...

survival tip: keep a backup copy of your "best guess" file before you try any of this stuff ... it's not hard to paint yourself into a corner when you start shifting things around ...

Last edited: