Rslogix500:some project's comment disapper when online

hkboy

When using RSLogis500 to connect to SLC PLC , some project can't
see the comments when online. Why?

The documentation of the program isn't in the PLC it is in the offline file of the code that is in the PLC.
Do you have documented copies of the code for the PLC?

We are still using RSLogix 500 v5.20 with most of our SLC 5/04's. A new project which has recently been installed was written using RSLogix 500 v7.30. So I upgraded my computer to RSLogix 500 v7.30 as you cannot have both version on your computer at same time. Going online with the v7.30 logix works fine, I can see all comments both online and offline.

If I go online with a processes which has been saved in v5.20 I cannot see the comments when online. So, I am going online from 2 different computers, using the same offline file saved on a network drive. Using the computer with RSLogix 500 v5.20 software, I can see all the comments, but when I connect with the computer using v7.20 software I cannot see the comments online. Viewing the logix offline, you can see comments with both. Not sure why. Maybe I will have to dig a bit deeper when I have time.

Most likely, there is a copy of the program saved on the PC without comments and RSLogix500 will use whatever .rss file has the best match when going online. If the copy of the file without comments is a better match (based on the processor name and program checksum), then RSLogix will open that file when going online.

This is usually caused by someone selecting "create new file" when going online. Once that person has finished and goes offline, they will be prompted to save the file. If they save the file with the empty comment and symbol database, then it will be the preferred file when RSLogix goes online the next time it used.

One solution is to find and delete the file with the empty database (or move it somewhere outside of the search path that RSLogix500 uses).

Paul

Most likely, there is a copy of the program saved on the PC without comments and RSLogix500 will use whatever .rss file has the best match when going online. If the copy of the file without comments is a better match (based on the processor name and program checksum), then RSLogix will open that file when going online.

This is usually caused by someone selecting "create new file" when going online. Once that person has finished and goes offline, they will be prompted to save the file. If they save the file with the empty comment and symbol database, then it will be the preferred file when RSLogix goes online the next time it used.

One solution is to find and delete the file with the empty database (or move it somewhere outside of the search path that RSLogix500 uses).

Paul
Unless your opening the offline file first as it sounds like your doing so, but if it gives you the " pick a program " or upload dialog box OKIE is probably right, unless you find the appropriate RSS. Let us know step us.

I have seen this before, it is one of the quirks of RSLogix. Just because you have a file open, it does not necessarily go online with that file. Search your drives for files with the same name, and you will probably find some others, perhaps stored locally in My Documents, or some other place. That is the probably the file that you are going online with. If you don't need it, delete it, or move it where RSLogix can't find it. The other possibility is that there is a file with same processor name, but not necessarily the same file name. I believe, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, that RSLogix looks at the processor name to decide if it is a matching file. Have a look, and let us know how you make out.

Stu......