RSLogix500 Starter

berrabbit5849

I can do OFF line edits but not ON-LINE edits? Correct ?

Can I monitor a running PLC processor with the starter version ?

If I use an INPUT and give it a NAME or DESRIPTION and use that INPUT later in the program. Will the NAME or DESCRIPTION follow the input ?

Let me see if I can answer simply without introducing confusion, as there are some exceptions and subtleties.

RSLogix 500 Starter supports offline editing only.

You can monitor, online, the logic and data tables of an SLC or MicroLogix program with any edition of RSLogix 500, including Starter.

Data tables elements (like an Input, say I:1.0/4) can have Symbols and can have Descriptions. BOTH will "follow" the Input wherever its address is used.

Symbols are used in place of addresses. If I define I:1.0/4 to have a symbol "PB1", I can then just type "PB1" anywhere I want to refer to that input.

Descriptions have multiple lines of text; I'll typically call something like that "Top Platen Hoist UP PB1". The descriptions also are applied to all instances of the data table address, but do not take the place of the data table address like a Symbol can.

You can do Online Edits with Micrologix 1400 using RSLogix 500 starter. (9324-RL0100ENE)
Probably with other models of Micrologix as well, 1100, 1500, but I'm not sure.
You cannot do online edits with SLC 500 using Starter.

That's where I didn't want to get too detailed, to avoid confusion. But what the heck, here goes:

Two models of MicroLogix controller (1100 and 1400) do support online editing, and all editions of RSLogix 500 (Micro Lite, Micro, Starter, Standard, Professional) therefore support online editing for those controllers.

Three models of MicroLogix controller (1000, 1200, 1500) do not support online editing.

SLC-500, 5/01, and 5/02 controllers do not support online editing.

SLC-5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 controllers do support online editing, but only with the Standard and Professional editions of RSLogix 500. The Micro edition doesn't support modular SLC controllers, and the Starter edition doesn't support online editing in modular SLC controllers.

There are certainly marketing brochures, websites, and Knowledgebase documents that explain this, but sometimes it's faster to just explain it here rather than find those documents.

The Original Poster, brerrabbit5849, mentioned that he has MicroLogix 1500 and SLC-5/03 controllers, and that he's getting RSLogix 500 Starter Edition software. Setting aside the possibility that he's buying a ten-year-old obsolete copy ( he posted about installing v5.0), the Starter Edition will not support online editing for him because the MicroLogix 1500 doesn't have online editing, and the Starter Edition doesn't support the online edit function in the SLC-5/03.

Thanks Ken,
I didn't know which Model the OP had.
Too bad he doesn't have a 1400
Online Editing Rocks!

I have had about 15 years with Modicon 584's. Left that is 1989. Went to work for Anheuser-Busch for 15 years where we had around 150 PLC5's. All tied together Ethernet. I could program them pretty good. Left there in 2004 and now work at a small pipe mill. Out plant manager is scared to death of a PLC since he doesn't understand them. All our controls are from the 1960 era except we do have all ABB ACS800 drives. Our PLC's are controlling out HF Welder and nothing ever needs to be changed. We had a problem two weeks ago with one that had a bad input on the Micrologic 1500 sub base. The company we bought the welders from would not give us a printout of the program so we had to talk with them on the phone for a day and a half before they diagnosed the problem. So I am going to get the software and just forget about them next time. It would have been so simple to just jump to an unused input and reprogram and back running.
help. Sure going to miss the dot commands the AB A1 software had. Will have to get use to this drag and drop. How nice though. Ran through the simulator on this site and it is good. Had problems with the DELETE and branch insert. I will figure it out.
Thank all of you

Problem in S5 CPU 928

we have a old machine with siemens S5.
now its CPU goes in stop mood.
the red lit is flickering and also gives red signal in positioning card.
there is no man who knows S5 plc.
need yours help.
TIA

Sure going to miss the dot commands the AB A1 software had.

They're still available, but now you preface the dot with the alt key. alt+dot brings up a 'command portal'. I don't know if all the originals are there but,
"alt + dot + t + I" brings up the instruction editor.