RSLogix500 with Dongle activation

ChanceGuy

In 2009 I purchased a copy of RSLogix 500 version 8.30.01 and never really did anything with it because we didn't end up needing it at the time. Recently we have decided to pursue plc work and I am trying to activate my copy.

I have purchased a dongle to activate it on and have successfully been able to do so with the dongle. I use the dongle because I prefer to work at my desktop and then use a laptop when I am out in the field.

The laptop is running windows vista home and the desktop is running windows 7 home. I know that neither of these are not supposed to be compatible with my version of RSLogix. However I use able to us the program just fine in the grace period troubleshooting a micrologix 1200 with the laptop.

My problem is using getting either version to activate with the dongle. I have the latest version of FactoryTalk on both computers and can see the available activations when opening factory talk with the dongle attached. I copied the LIC file I received when I activated the dongle onto each computer into the public/publicdocuments/rockwellautomation/activations folder.

When I start RSLogix 500 on either computer it is not seeing any activation and I don't know what else to do. Do I just need to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro? Pay for a upgrade to RSlogix 500? I am not longer under support, i'm honestly not sure of the cost for it but I know it is pricey. I belieeve a support contract would be able to help but I am trying to find out if I can solve this without spending the money.

When I look at available activations I see RSLogix 500 starter which is the unactivated software on each computer, I see this whether or not I have the dongle plugged in.

Last edited: