.rss file won't open?

wink91wink

Forgive me because I am pretty lost when it comes to this. I was sent an email with a .rss file to open in our RSLogix 500 software. When I attempt to open it, it pops up and says "the drive or network connection that the shortcut refers to is unavailable."

Any ideas what the issue is?

It may be you were sent a shortcut to an RSS instead of the RSS itself. Look at the size of what your received. If it is very short (100 bytes or less say) it is probably a shortcut. Ask your sender to recheck.

The file is 221KB. I'm actually posting this for another worker, I work at the help desk so I am kinda foreign to these programs. Would that be the correct size for the actual file and not a shortcut?

221KB seems like a normal size. I just looked at a program on our server and it was 98KB.

A few thoughs:
- Make sure it's saved to your local disk before opening (don't open directly from email)
- Have the original sender zip it before sending it. We went though some issues when people would send via AOL, they would become corrupt.
- Maybe it's related to how the original sender attached it to the email?
- I could try opening it if you are willing to email it to me. If so, PM me and I'll give you my address.

221KB seems like a normal size. I just looked at a program on our server and it was 98KB.

A few thoughs:
- Make sure it's saved to your local disk before opening (don't open directly from email)
- Have the original sender zip it before sending it. We went though some issues when people would send via AOL, they would become corrupt.
- Maybe it's related to how the original sender attached it to the email?
- I could try opening it if you are willing to email it to me. If so, PM me and I'll give you my address.

It was originally sent as a ZIP file, and I unzipped it, and had the guy who is having the issue download it from our shared drive. He said he put it directly on a thumb drive, would it not work if he was trying to run it directly from there? If you could test it that would be great, I'll shoot you a PM

I've ran programs from thumb drive and network drives. I always try to have it on my local drive because they don't like it if they lose connection or the thumb drive is removed while it's open.

So I received your file. It opens, but it's password protected.

Okay, we couldn't even get the password prompt to pop up for him. It must be the thumb drive, let me have him download it locally.