RSView ME Studio crash on startup

tls141

I just installed RSView ME version 3.10 on my laptop to modify a customer's existing application. It's a brand new dell latitude D830 with XP Professional SP2. Everytime I start up the studio software it crashes with a windows problem and prompts me to either send or don't send a report to microsoft. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times now. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:
Rsview Me

I had a problem like this with ver 4 and I had to reformat
my hard drive.Its was down to the rights on my laptop.The only way
to fix it after servel calls to rockwell was reformat the drive.
This worked fine but you may not want to do this.
Donnchadh

What is the version of the customers RSView program, could it be version 4.0.

You may want to start turning of some of the windows services one t a time and see if you can isolate the problem. I have had problems with virus checkers giving me headaches before.

i haven't even tried to open the application yet. i've only tried to start the software. it gets to the point where it's reading the license and then it crashes. the installation disks are directly from the customer.

It seems likes I remember something about the order that you install the software. Maybe Rslinx before RSView. You may want to call A-B for this problem.

In the A-B knowledgebase, there is an article on using Dr. Watson to track down the crash log. Article 35414.

If you have other Rockwell software on your laptop, then go online and find the notes on RSView compatibility with other RS apps. There are some that it won't co-exist with. And yeah, RSView32 can be one of those that give you problems; you might try calling RA and asking, or searching KB for that.

Also look at your "CPR" levels (Co-ordinated Product Release) as they are all supposed to be the same. Finally, you might want to bag 3.1 and go to 4.0. The early releases had many more of these problems than 3.2 and 4.0, and even now as usual there are wierd things that happen. When you open an old program, it will convert to 4.0; when you download to the panel, you pick the panel firmware version so no problem. I have a panel at 3.2 that I download to (using ME 4.0) with no problems. Since this is a customer app, keep a backup of the original just in case.

I don't think Linx and load order matters here, as View ME/SE use "Linx Enterprise Edition" which is not RSLinx Classic at all. You may need RSLinx Classic to talk to the processor with your laptop, but View is doing it's own thing.