RsView SE Data Log to ODBC Database

solehm

I want to save the data log models in ODBC database format. How do I do this? I am using RsView SE ver 4.0. Unfortunately, I know nothing about ODBC or SQL.

In the "Setup" tab, there are input fields for ODBC Data Source, Tag Table, Float Table, and String Table. Not sure what to put in these fields.

I have RsSQL and Microsoft SQL Server 2000. I have not install them yet because I don't what I need. Do I need both of these softwares? Do they need to be installed on the same computer as the HMI computer?

Same questions for logging alarms to ODBC database.

Thanks in advance.

You will need to install SQL Server if you want to log to a SQL database.

The 'ODBC Data Source' is the name and connection properties you assign to point to the actual database on the SQL server. You configure that under Windows Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Data Sources (ODBC). It's an aging technology, that Rockwell still uses, but it is solid.
Tag Table, Float Table, and String Table are just the table names you want to use to log to. You can let RSView create the tables (if they don't exist), or use the names of existing tables. DO NOT TELL RSView to 'Create' tables if they aready exist, as they will be dropped and recreated.

So I don't need to install RsSQL? All I need is MS SQL Server? Do I need to install SQL Server on the HMI computer?

After double-clicking "Data Sources (ODBC)" in the Administrative Tools, whick tab do I add the new Data Source Name? "User DSN"? "System DNS"?

Thanks

Yes you will need to install RsSQL it is that the link software between Rsview and the data base on the other side it can be the link between the database and information in the PLC its self.

No, you do NOT need RSSQL. The OP asked about storing the datalogs to an ODBC database, instead of the native RSView SE format. ViewSE supports direct-to-ODBC reads and writes, both for Trend Models, and Alarms. I use that here to keep our total history for the past 2 years on an easily accessible SQL server.

RSSQL is needed only if you want to do transactional reads/writes between a PLC and a Database, or actually, and more generically, between a Data-Source and any DDE/OPC device.

Solehm: Ideally, you want SQL server installed on it's own PC (with Windows Server as an operating system). When setting up SQL server, you are best served (no pun intended) by putting the program itself on one physical hard drive (generally with the OS), and using a seperate physical HD for the data and logging files. The data drive should be LARGE.

Also, in almost all cases, you want to use the 'System DSN' tab when creating ODBC Connections. Note that all users that log in to the PC running RSView will need to have access permissions to the database; the simplest way is to create a group with the access permissions you want, and put all the users in that group (in SQL Server Security).

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorants.

Ok, what I have is a redundant system. I was planning to put the MS SQL Server on the secondary computer. Is this OK? With SQL server on the secondary computer, on which computer do I create the DSN? Somewhere in the user guide says that if the ODBC Database is on a different computer, I need to configure the DCOM settings. What happens when the primary computer fails?

For RSView user group, where do I grant permissions for the database? I assume all users must have access or else if a user that doesn't have permission logs in, logging to ODBC Database will stop.

Thanks

Yes, you can put SQL on the secondary computer, or even the primary, it's just a 'best practice' to isolate SQL server, as it will use all available resources for itself in it's default installation.

You need to create an ODBC DSN on every computer that will actively write to SQL. In your case, on the Primary HMI server, and also on the Secondary HMI server (for fallover). If you are using SQL for storing other things, such as recipies, then every client computer also needs a System DSN pointing to the Database.

Logging will run under the system account, as RSView SE Server should probably be configured to run it's startup components on boot.

There are several technotes on the Rockwell Knowledgebase about configuring DCOM... Check there, and search on DCOM.

After SQL server on the secondary computer, I double-clicked the Data Source in Administrative Tools. When Data Sources opened, I clicked on the "System DSN" tab and there is a new data source named, localserver. I changed the name and clicked finish. Clicked on "Test Data Source..." on the next pop-up and it was successful.

Then I created a new data source(same name as the secondary computer) on the primary computer. Entered the secondary computer name (WS2) for Server: field. After that, I clicked "Test Data Source..." However, it failed on primary computer. The error message was
"Attempting connection.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

The computers are in a workgroup. Could this be a problem? Also the SQL Server is a Personal Edition. Could this be the problem? The reason I use personal edition is the operating is Windows XP. I have the Standard Edition, but it does not work with Windows XP.