RSView Studio => Siemens via ethernet

pwd666

I'm trying to connect my Siemens PLC to my AB PanelView 600+. I have the AB PLC conected without a problem. I'm not sure how I would go about starting to interface the siemens to the PANELVIEW via ethernet. I cannot see the siemens PLC via RSLinx enterprise. I was thinking to output the values I want to read off the siemens to a Database then reading it from the PanelView. Any comments on this? I am not too familiar with using databases with RSView Studio. I also have a database setup on a microsoft server.

Thanks,

Eric

ME, not SE

I'm no expert, but from what I can tell, you can only connect AB products to a PanelView Plus.

With RSViewME You are limited to the following drivers:
  • Ethernet
  • Serial DF1
  • DH+ (1784-PKTX, 2711P-RN6, 2711P-RN8)
  • DH485 (1784-PKTX, 2711P-RN6)
  • Serial DH485 (including 2711P-RN3, 2711-RN22C)
  • Remote I/O (1784-PKTX, 2711P-RN6)
  • Remote I/O (2711P-RN1 - PVPlus 400/600)
  • ControlNet (1784-PCIC(S), 2711P-RN15S)
and before you get too excited about the "Ethernet" option, the only devices that are supported must talk the AB version of Ethernet/IP. While a PC with RSLink (Gateway) will do that, I don't see how to connect THAT to a database.

To do what you want, you need to be running RSView SE (more of a SCADA than just an HMI), which allows KEPWare OPC servers, which WILL connect to a database (or a Siemens PLC directly).

Interesting...

Does anyone know of reference material regarding this? or software driver to allow this to happen?

I am pretty sure you can use the Kepware drivers with ME also. Check AB's knowledgebase or the kepware CD that comes with ME for more information also.

If you were doing the oposite scenario: Trying to connect a Siemens HMI to an AB plc it would have been plug and play because their is driver for AB plc.

Is keepware is difficult to use ?

KepServer Enterprise provides all the third-party drivers for PanelView Plus. RSLinx Enterprise provides the Rockwell Automation drivers for PanelView Plus.

KepServer Enterprise is installed automatically along with FactoryTalk View Studio. The runtime licenses are embedded in the PV+ terminal; you do not have to buy or install any licensing for KepServer Enterprise on the PV+.

You need to configure KepServer Enterprise to connect to the Siemens controller and set it up with a tag database and Siemens registers. FactoryTalk View Studio can then browse the KepServer tag database during development and runtime (on your development PC and on the PV+ terminal).

To load a specific driver onto the PanelView Plus, you perform a firmware update of the panel with the KepServer driver as part of the firmware update. I only add one driver at a time to the PV+.

The KepServer Help file and the FTView Studio User Manuals (navigate to the Online Books section to launch them) have some good information on these. EDIT: Thanks, Jesper, for the Knowledgebase link.

What is your Siemens controller type, and what connection and protocol are you going to use ?

The answer is the same as above: KepServer Enterprise is the connectivity method between FactoryTalk View and non-Rockwell controllers.

KepServer Enterprise does support Mitsubishi Q-series controllers over Ethernet.

I have not personally used it, but there should be a Help file installed when you install KepServer Enterprise and include the Mitsubishi Ethernet driver.