RSView Studio tag import overwriting numeric input mins/maxes

gkk1223

Hi all,

First time poster here... until a year ago my ladder logic exposure was at a GM assembly plant in the early 80's, all on D size paper. Fast forward a few decades and out of necessity I've inherited a plant using RSLogix 500 and RSView Studio for HMI. I'm catching up slowly but surely.

My issue is that I've been using the ASCII export tool in RSLogix 500 for the symbol database and importing it into the tag database. When I do this with each program update, I overwrite the minimum and maximum fields for numeric entry objects for previously created tags (reset them back to the defaults of 0 and 100). I end up editing the tag database from within RSView Studio to fix them each time. Any tips on an easy way way to preserve these fields in the future? The operators just smile at me each time I have to redo these...

Thanks!

Jerry

Why do that "Each Program Update" ?
Can't you just ignore "Existing Tags" in the import?
Can't you just manually add/modify the tags you need to?

In lieu of the above, export the tag database (RSView), and SLC to .CSV files, edit them in Excel, then re-import them to RSView.

You aren't using (spit) "Direct Reference Tags", are you?

Thanks for the assistance! I've been using the tag import/export wizard from within RSview (release 4.0), but when you select the "Import RSLogix 5/500 Address & Symbol ASCII files", there are very few options. The default seems to be processing of all symbols during the import, either by updating (which wipes out the mins/maxes) or creating new tags. As the import is occurring you can see that it creates an intermediate csv file, but it doesn't seem to leave it available after the import. I get a summary of the number of tag updates and creations upon completion.

Also curiously, if I choose to export to a csv file directly from RSLogix 500 (instead of the using the .eas file), RSView doesn't like the file format upon attempting to import. I haven't investigated the difference yet.

For the time being I'll go with the suggestion to export from RSView, edit in excel, and reimport. That sure beats the tag browser for the number of tags that I'm dealing with...

As for direct reference tags, my lurking as a guest for some time has paid off. You guys have helped me more than you know!

Jerry