RSView32 Client issue caused by server?

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am having an issue where all the clients were giving me this error:

The Rad Server on CMP_Server1 already has the maximum licensed number of Rad Clients connected. Same for Server2. I have 3 Clients, 2 servers. I rebooted server #2, I am now able to get the clients going. (running the clients off of server2). Server 1 has works on it, but right now just have it running as a client. When I tried shutting down server #2, a file would just keep retrying to start, I couldn't stop it. It was in a cycle. Don't remember the name. Any ideas? This system has been running about 3 years now.
Thanks
George

When I tried shutting down server #2, a file would just keep retrying to start, I couldn't stop it.
RAD means Remote Active Display, if I remember. A Remote RAD client can have the ability to both Start and Run a RSView project, so if that is happening, you may not be able to stop it locally. I always thought that "Remote Run" was a very dangerous thing to set up.

Lancie,
This system was first set up about 10 years ago. Then about 3 years ago new computers were installed for the servers and 1 client. All 3 clients and the servers were updated to WinXP and the latest revisions at that time. Usually the 1 client that runs and is used all the time, has to be restarted because it gets very slow (memory building up to a crawl)?
Thanks
George

Usually the 1 client that runs and is used all the time, has to be restarted because it gets very slow
George, Defragment the drive for the slow machine. RSview creates many temporary files that tend to cause the hard drive to become fragmented. Also, run a Windows Registry clean-up program, such as Registry First Aid. It helps if you can turn off any anti-virus program, which also slows things down.

The Rad licences run an instance of Rad????.xxx in the services if the rad client is shut down unexpectedly then the server does not get rid of the instance so the licences are still consumed & not released.
The only thing you can do is either shut these down or re-boot.
Recently our IT Dept put our RSV32 on a virtual machine & we have had a few network related problems, since then we have also had this problem.
It may depend on what version you are running.
look on the Rockwell website there are a few discussions on there for this problem.

Lancie and Parky,

Thanks, I'll check them out in the morning. I haven't got a call yet today, so they must be OK.

George