RSView32 Serial Comms???

RPax

Hi was wondering if you could help. We have a machine controlled by a Allen Bradley SLC 500 connected serially to a RSView32 V6.3 Scada system (on a windows NT Platform).

When we do maintenance we power down the machine and when finished we power back up again. However, the other day the comms didn't start up. Initially we thought it was RSlinx not seening the SLC but that was OK and we double checked the Runtime config file and that referenced the correct DF1 protocol etc.

The error that we are getting is a Popup with title Synchronization Error Max tag limit exceeded. Inside the popup it states a synchronisation error with tags and then lists the tags. The user then has an option of Continuing or Loading Project eitherway (without Sync)

One thing I did notice, that on startup of the machine (RSView32 Runtime initaited straight away on machine startup), the the SLC never initited comms with the screen (no led flashing on PLC) and it was necessary to start RSlinx and the Led then flashed. Even though we could now see plc, when RSView32 was relaunched there was still no comms. Wondering if anyone has encountered this problem?

Appreciate any help. Thanks - Rpax

Yes...

I have had several things like that happen, one thing that we did to HELP was install a UPS and dedicated power on the PLC and the computer.

When you shut down the main on the machine to do the PM the PLC and the PC still stayed powered up, we had to rewire a few things by doing this, as the new power supply feeds only the CPU power, as the mains still drop out the control power (ie. output, inputs, etc) this has help.

The error sounds like it lost how many tag count your license was for, did it come up and say DEMO? if so then it lost the license all together

Also make sure that you defrag the PC, then bring up the PLC power up then the PC

Thanks geniusintraining, will check the activation tool tomorrow and see is the licnce still there. Is there any comeback 9with Allen Bradley) or quick fix if licence is gone or will I just need to contact the people who built machine?

As a matter of interest what will the Defrad do for the PC?. Will it starighten out the files that might have gone astray?. Again thanks for the help - Rpax

RPax said:
Is there any comeback (with Allen Bradley) or quick fix if licence is gone or will I just need to contact the people who built machine?

If it's AB will/can re-issue you the key, you will need to contact them, I would also check with the manufacture to see if they have a backup. I use a ghost image of the machine as a backup... once you get the machine running the way you like it just ghost the whole machine, if you have issues you just download the image back and start up..

RPax said:
As a matter of interest what will the Defrad do for the PC?. Will it starighten out the files that might have gone astray?. Again thanks for the help - Rpax

Yes, if the file is just misplaced then the defrag will get it back, some times with programs if you have data logging and trending you can use a lot of disk space and you need to clean up your files and defragment the drive

Go to start programs and under system tools run disk defragmenter