S7-200 to C-MORE HMI - Tag Addressing

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,

Background:
I have an S7-200 at a site that I am about to visit. I am not sure if the PLC has a password protecting the code or not, but I am tasked with converting the old Maple HMI to a CMORE. I do have S7 Micro/Win and a PPI cable (RS-485 to USB) available on a Windows 7 laptop, I will bring this with me.

The Maple Soft HMI is quite old, and uses Indusoft Web Studio. I have a development license for Web Studio and am very familiar with using IWS.

I have never programmed a Siemens CPU before, but am familiar with AB and Automation Direct. I understand addressing schemes and data types very well on those CPU's (and also CMORE HMI's).

I have the instruction manual from Siemens, as well as several addressing examples, but none for CMORE, and AD does not post Siemens instructions on their site.

Issue:
In the SIPPI Main Driver sheet of IWS, there are addresses that look familiar, but a bit confusing to me as I read through them. I cannot match the pattern in CMORE... Examples for different data types are:

Datatype----IWS TAG--------CMORE TAG (assumed, no exact match)
INTeger-----DB1: DW408-----VD408
BOOLean----M:B2.0----------M2.0
Real---------DB1:F1000------VD1000

There are (I)inputs and (Q) outputs as well as BOOL.

Help Appreciated:
Do you have experience matching CMORE tags to an S7-200? If so, can you kindly post some examples of tags?

I appreciate any help I may get.

Thank You,

Tim

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I see that the previous programmer used Data Blocks for addressing, which the CMORE does not support. May I simply use the "V memory" locations without referencing Data Blocks? Oh the headache!

Oh the headache!

I would love to help but I think your in for a bigger one (headache), I have worked on C-More's and 200's but never together and doubt anyone else has either.... if its not very large I think I would start over

UPDATE:

I see that the previous programmer used Data Blocks for addressing, which the CMORE does not support. May I simply use the "V memory" locations without referencing Data Blocks? Oh the headache!

It has been years since I touched a 200, but I seem to remember that OPC's (and other software) would see an S7-200 as having only a single DB (DB1). And all of the V memory was in that DB.

So if the external software needed to access VB10 it would actually point at DB1.DBB10.

Like I said it has been years, so I could be completely misremembering this scenario.

Update... Success!

Hello everyone,

Just an update. I was very fortunate to have nearly 100% access to the code, there were no passwords on the main routines, just passwords on the PID loops for some reason.

I now understand that "datablock addressing" was used in the Wonderware/Indusoft Web Studio, and that CMORE does not support that structure.

Fortunately for me, CMORE does in fact support direct addressing to at least the s7-200, so, with a bit of guesswork, I was able to translate the addressing schema and directly read and write both ways (HMI/PLC) over modbus and RS485.

I am happy to report that all my efforts to convert the Maple HMI to CMORE were successful.

In case you were curious:
double-word Analog signals were "VDxxx" on Siemens and Unsigned INT or Float32 in CMORE

single-word, signed analog were "VBxxx" on Siemens and Signed Int 16 on CMORE

Discrete Inputs and Outputs were "Mn.x" on Siemens and Discrete on CMORE

Discrete "PLC Channels" were "In.x" (Inputs) "Qn.x" (Outputs) and Discrete on CMORE

Hopefully this is helpful to someone!

Cheers,

Tim
:site:

A little late to the party.

For pretty much all AutomationDirect Software anymore, use the software help files. They are very complete with a lot of information such as this in them.

The help topic for Siemens S200 is CM479 which would have told you your data types and the accessible memory locations.

Just FYI for anyone searching this post in the future.