S7-300 Addressing...I am new to Siemens

Todd,

There should definitely be a manual named "Statement List (STL) for S7-300 and S7-400 Programming" present when you have installed STEP7. "Statement List" is Siemens' name for their implementation of the IEC61131 standard "Instruction List". It's not a .doc, but a file named S7AWL__B.PDF - try doing a search for this with Windows Explorer. I would expect it to be in the general folder \Program Files\SIEMENS\Step7\S7Manual. There are several sub-folders in there which vary according to the options you have installed.

Although the file name looks weird it has some sense to it. AWL is the extension that is applied to all STEP7 STL source files (it stands for 'AnWeitungsListe' - which as we all know is the German for, hey, statement list!) Siemens generally produce a minimum of 5 different language versions of all documentation. The German language version of a manual will have a suffix 'A', the English 'B', the French 'C', the Spanish 'D' and the Italian 'E'. So S7AWL__B seems quite natural all of a sudden!

There should also be a shortcut to access all the manuals installed from the 'Start' button. "Start > Simatic > Documentation > English". For this manual the shortcut is named "STEP 7 - Statement List for S7-300 and S7-400". Getting back to your original question about I/O modules etc try the shortcut "STEP 7 - Configuring Hardware with STEP 7"

Finally, don't forget the online Help file. Either highlight an item in STEP7 and press "F1" or just do a search within the Help menu.

Welcome to the world of Siemens programming. Sure, the water's deep and dark and cold, and you might feel you're drowining at times, but at least you won't scratch your feet on the bottom!

Regards

Ken.

Ken,

it stands for 'AnWeitungsListe'

almost, it's actually "AnWeisungsliste" - but don't worry about it, I've got the problem the other way round (and much worse, at a guess) - I haven't a clue what all the English terms are, because I've only ever worked with Siemens stuff in German!

By the way, did you catch my next stupid question - it arrived a bit quicker than I expected! ;)

Cheers

Roy

Damn it, Roy!

See what happens when I try to help - I just make mistakes! Maybe I'm better off just being bad-tempered. Then it's all the real me.

Regards

Ken.