S7 300 Memory Card?

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

Just bought myself a

Siemens s7-300 cpu316-2 dp
model 6ES7 316-2AGOO-OABO

of ebay to have a play with

Do i need a memory card and if so what ones are compatible ?

For the older CPU's (like you have) you dont need a memory card.
But you will need a battery if you want to retain the program on power cycle.

JRW said:
For the older CPU's (like you have) you dont need a memory card.
But you will need a battery if you want to retain the program on power cycle.

I might be wrong, but, I'm pretty sure that he DOES need a memory card. There is a message thread here on plcs.net that indicates why, and also details that these memory cards are made special for Siemens, with a special code.

I just bought a NEW S7-300, and somehow forgot to buy the memory card. When the unit was powered up, I could not establish communications with it, which is how I knew I needed it (and, of course, my distributor informed me as well....)

OLD CPU's like the 316 do not need memory card. A battery would be handy unless you don't mind loading program upon power up.

Nick

The Siemens CPU 6ES7 316-2AGOO-OABO does not need a memory card, it has "built in" RAM.

From the catalogue:-

The Load memory has 192KB RAM intergrated and can accept a 4MB Flash EPROM.

Bit Memory: 2048
Retentive with/without battery = 0 to 2048

Counters: 64
Retentive with/without battery = 0 to 63

Timers: 128
Retentive with/without battery = 0 to 127

Blocks:
OB = See operation list.
FB = 256 max
FC = 256 max
DB = 511 max

See attached file for full details of CPU

Thanks for that guys

And if i want to add memory in the future presumably the MMC is the wrong type so what part numbers would i be looking for?

Will this 1Mb one work in it ? (It physically looks like its right but i dont want to blow anything up !)

6ES7 952 1AK00 0AA0

Hi Dave,
the part number matches the 400 range and i'm pretty sure it wont work.

mem.JPG