S7 download issues: Local MPI address??

I have never had the opportunity to have to set the IP address on a factory fresh AB PLC, but I do think it is possible without being online via other means. Something to do with BOOTP server.
Someone else may help.

Apart from that, the future present is ethernet ethernet ethernet. All the latest Siemens PLCs only have ethernet ports. Put your MPI adapter in your desk drawer and let it stay there.

Ok, well lucky me. We just had a power failure and the PLC has no battery (yet), so I lost my program. Following the procedure you specified in that file, I found the IP is 192.168.0.100. At least, that's what it reported in accessible nodes. That IP is not pingable, nor does it let me download to it, saying something about a bad communications partner.

Ugh.

You need an MMC with the newer s7-300 CPUs.
Call your local Siemens rep and get one or you'll be losing the loaded program every time you power down.

and while you're at it, bite the bullet and get at least a 4MB MMC (yes, I know the price is outrageous), then you are equipped to handle firmware updates and in addition you you can store all your project documentation on the MMC, so that when you're on site in two year's time you have all the information you need to go troubleshooting.