s7 project retrieve error (micromaster/starter)

Werner

Hi there,

When I retrieve my project (step 7 siemens) I get the following error message:

"The retrieved data has been stored in directory C:\Program Files\Siemens\Step 7\S7proj\S7TMP002 However, the contents of the archive could not be interpreted as a project."

This happend after I integrated some micro master 420 drives into the project. (The parameters are also stored in the directory of the project)

What can I do to fix this problem? (It is a project and when I use the browse button to go to the directory it opens normal without problems)

I will see this when someone archives the file without using Simatic Manager, and it contains unexpected directory names. The solution is to just unzip it manually and navigate to it with Simatic Manager.

Maybe the micromaster parameter files are corrupting the project in a way that the Siemens archiving won't work.

S7Guy said:
Maybe the micromaster parameter files are corrupting the project in a way that the Siemens archiving won't work.

I guess so but that's stupid because they allow to integrate the micromasters in Simatic manager. I am using the simatic manager (with winzip) to archive and retrieve. Maybe there is no problem when I use an other (default) zip program. (inside Simatic manager, WinRar or something)

By the way what is the default compression program of Siemens?

Werner said:
I guess so but that's stupid because they allow to integrate the micromasters in Simatic manager.

I don't disagree with that. Maybe the orginal ProTool designers were involved with this. :)

I am using the simatic manager (with winzip) to archive and retrieve. Maybe there is no problem when I use an other (default) zip program. (inside Simatic manager, WinRar or something)

By the way what is the default compression program of Siemens?

I don't know what the default is, but you are allowed to select your preferred zip program under customize>options.

I've got as well problem with retriewing project. At first archived my project (Simatic Manager V5.5) on desktop. Then, closed the project and tried to retrieve the archived project.
Got internet connection error instead.After pressing "Cancel" it behaves like, I wanted to open an project and because the project was archived it does not see it.
What is wrong?
Regards, Wal

I've got as well problem with retriewing project. At first archived my project (Simatic Manager V5.5) on desktop. Then, closed the project and tried to retrieve the archived project.
Got internet connection error instead.After pressing "Cancel" it behaves like, I wanted to open an project and because the project was archived it does not see it.
What is wrong?
Regards, Wal

You got an "internet connection error"? Why was it trying to go online to 'retrieve' your project?

Are you sure you don't have some sort of virus or other nasty on your computer? Is it trying to open a browser when you go and retrieve your project? What address (local or internet) is it trying to get to ?

You should just be able to click File - Retrieve, then navigate to your zip file (in your case, on your desktop) and then double-click and away it should go??

???

Grüss!

The project is not deleted when you do an archive. You should still be able to open it. Normally you'll find the recent projects at the bottom of the pulldown menu when you choose "File". If this does not happen, do this:

- Make a new project, look carefully where it is located.
Normally it would be .../siemens/step7/s7proj/

Try to archive it, watch where it is stored. I allways make a directory called D:/S7zips where i store my backups during work.

If you now cannot retreive it again, or you cannot find the zip or the project catalog, it looks like a reinstallation of Step7 is required.

(Or someone has put a spell on you , or it's a virus as Uptown suggests.)

Kalle

Last edited:
Thank You for the answer. The laptop is not connected to internet.How can I check which site did it try to access?

Did it open a browser window (like Internet Explorer or Firefox etc)? If so, then you should see the web page it is trying to reach written in the address bar at the top.

Read Kalle's suggestion though. It could just be that you need to reinstall Simatic Manager.

Thank You for the help. When it tried connect to internet, browser was not opened. When I opened the browser myself and tried to retrieve an archive, no web addresses were shown.
Our IT department did not find viruses on the laptop.
Next step is reinstalling the program. Should WinCC program be reinstalled as well? If yes, does the sequence matter?

regards, Wal

There is WinCC and WinCC Flex. The Flex program is used for standard HMIs and the WinCC (without Flex) is used for SCADA applications (the kind of stuff you would run on a dedicated PC).

Whether or not they need to be installed depends on whether or not you are needing this functionality. If you never work with HMIs then you don't need WinCC Flex (and if you never work with SCADA you don't need WinCC).

However, if you DO need either of these then you must install them AFTER you have installed Simatic Manager. ;-)