S7 Software connecting to S7-300

astrobody

I can get my S7 software to talk to the PLC and can change variable values and such when I use the MPI cable. When I switch to industrial ethernet, using Set PC/PG interface, it won't connect to the PLC, even though the IP address has been downloaded to the PLC and I can ping it from my PC.

The message I get is this:

Unable to establish connection to *my module name*

I look at details and I get:

Unable to reach module using the online interface.

It's like ethernet isn't fully configured or something.

Does anybody have any ideas what I might try?

I appreciate the help.

Yes. They are on the same class c network.

I don't know where to change to 'accessible nodes' that you mentioned. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks!

astrobody,

What options in the PG/PC interface do you have for your network card? Have you selected 'ISO Ind Ethernet' or 'TCP/IP', if it is the former, try using TCP/IP, this is what I use all the time.

Paul

More specifically, I can see the CP attached to my 315 PLC and I can see the PN-IO that is part of my 319 PLC.

Should I be able to see the CPUs here?

Maybe somehow the HW config has become unsyncronised somehow.
I suggest that with PG/PC Interface still set to TCP/IP you download the HW Config again. When you are prompted for which PLC to download to, you shall be able to see the IP adresses of both the CP and the 319. If you can perform a HW config download you should also be able to go online as normal.

By the way, there is absolutely no need to set the IP adress via MPI. This is a myth.
If the PLC hasnt yet recieved its intended IP adress, then you can download the HW config (including the IP adress) by means of the MAC adress which is printed on the CP or CPU.

I reset to TCP/IP and downloaded the HW Config to each of the two PLCs. There doesn't seem to be any effect.

I looked for the tag of $Sys$Status through the WWClient program and I got a false reading returned. I was told by my wonderware person that this meant a communication problem.

Any more suggestions/ideas?

I dont get it.
With Set PG/PC Interface set to TCP/IP, can you connect to the PLC via Simatic Manager ?

I dont know Wonderware, but I dont think that it uses the same drivers as STEP7. Concentrate on STEP7 first, and when that part is working then we'll look at WW.

In Simatic Manager, in the project tree highligt the CPU in question, and then select "PLC" and "Module Information". Tell us how that goes.

Last week i also spend a few hours to communicate

MPI works mostly always
TCP/IP select on programming/computer device TCP/IP(Auto)-> your ethernet card
what i do for test my setup and hardware / cabling etc
my pc's laptops are in 10.11.65.xxx range
In PLC config the setting will be in same range pe : 10.11.65.101
Siemens PLC can not always see another segment.

If the mark in de CP hardware config Parameter-tab "IP protocol is being used" is removed the mac adres can be used, the PG-PC interface must be set to : ISO Ind.Ethernet -> your network card.

Looks like I can connect when I use TCP/IP now... Should I be able to connect when using Industrial Ethernet in the PC/PG Interface? The system that I am duplicating for test uses Industrial Ethernet.

Thank you for your help!

Should I start a new topic for getting help connecting Wonderware to the PLC? Is there a forum protocol for this?

astrobody said:
Should I be able to connect when using Industrial Ethernet in the PC/PG Interface?
The PN port on the 319 do not support ISO protocol (aka Industrial Ethernet).

astrobody said:
Should I start a new topic for getting help connecting Wonderware to the PLC?
I suggest you do. It is very important that there is a "tasty" and relevant thread topic header. Otherwise you will not attract any WW experts.