S7 STL and AWL

SIKANDER

Hi everybody!!
Can anybody specify the difference between S7 STL and AWL with technical reasons. Or they are one and the same thing.

STL is a programming language (Berger). AWL refers to a source file containing text (that may be STL, it could be a data type or a datablock).

Siemens unfortunately created some confusing terminology. STL and AWL are the same thing, with AWL just being the German translation (just as KOP is the translation for LAD). You can see this if you switch Step 7 to German, and look at the editor options.

But then, regardless of the language, there are also AWL source files. This probably stems from the fact that all source files are converted to STL anyway, and the AWL name stuck. In retrospect, it would have been smarter to call their source files something else to eliminate confusion, but it is what it is.

In short, if you are speaking German, STL will be called AWL. If you are talking about source files, then AWL will mean source files no matter what the language is.