Siemens Step 7 Unknown Call in STL

woolie161

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Siemens Experts,
I am hoping someone can shed some light on my issue.
I have uploaded the code from a S7-300 (317-2PN/DP) using Step 7 V5.6, as I believe this was the version used originally. The system is operating and there are no errors on the CPU. I am looking to migrate to TIA V18, but when I compile the Uploaded code in Step 7, it reports errors. On error I am having difficulty with is shown below.

Can anybody suggest how I determine what the "CALL" instruction is supposed to calling (i.e. FBxx, FCxx etc.)

Thank you.
Woolie

Unknown_Call_STL.JPG

FB199 declare any in/output/Static?
Or you could declare in current block for the L6.x/LD7, then try to switch to LAD(Ctrl+1)

Thanks for the reply Hill831017,
I will try your suggestions.
The uploaded code has multiple "Call" instruction across multiple FB's so hopefully it is an easy fix.
Thanks again
Woolie161

You should have original offline project of Step7.
Converting uploaded code to TIA portal and you own problems of code which isn't easily understable without any comments and symbols.

Thanks Lare,
Our client is about the 4th or 5th owners of this equipment and it has had many modifications along the way. I have looked for the original "offline" code several times with no success. Looks like I have created a lot more work for myself.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Woolie

Hi LD[AR2,P#0.0]
Yes there is an FB199 in the online folder, and it is called from other FB's and some of those compile. From the above STL, it is the "Call" / End Call" instruction that has me confused. I thought a "CALL" needed an FBxx associated with it. Where as the sample STL, the call instruction, doesn't call anything. The BLD instruction is from the Ladder to STL conversion, I think, so I don't understand what the "CALL" is doing. I don't think the "UC FB199" is the issue. But then I am more often wrong than right.
Thanks for replying
Woolie

The call is a nicely presented version provided by the editor. There are no 'call' instructions in S7-300, just code to manipulate the parameters followed by a UC FB199.
The red 'call End call' is normally the symptom of a block that is being called but is not present in the offline folder (hence the editor cannot give you a nicely presented version of the call).

I'm not as experienced on Siemens as others, but maybe: [My W.A.G]

When you uploaded there could be a restricted block that the original offline code is needed to have, and since your upload didn't include that/those block(s) the call is to a non-existent block in your upload file, so it's calling nothing.

Thanks to both LD & I_Automation,
It's looking like a lot of my issues stem from an uploaded version of the PLC code.
A lot of the blocks are created from SCL code and some of the existing FB & FC's are missing the SCL code. Also when compiling, there are some "know How" protect blocks that cannot be compiled.
Again, thank you both for taking to time to reply.