Siemens Step 7: What Software Development tool?...

No. That's the full blown software that you can use without limitations for 21 days without buying hardware. That's always been like this (unlike other smaller players like Rockwell).

The kit we're discussing has the 365 day license as you can see in the link below:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plcs-programmable-logic-controllers/8199717

I believe the 1200 license doesn't have an expiration date, but is limited to the 1200 hardware.

Edit: You can also download PLCSim and run both those softwares for 21 days and simulate how the PLC behaves.

No. That's the full blown software that you can use without limitations for 21 days without buying hardware. That's always been like this (unlike other smaller players like Rockwell).

The kit we're discussing has the 365 day license as you can see in the link below:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plcs-programmable-logic-controllers/8199717

I believe the 1200 license doesn't have an expiration date, but is limited to the 1200 hardware.

Edit: You can also download PLCSim and run both those softwares for 21 days and simulate how the PLC behaves.
Thanks for clarification.