S7 Wincc flex process control what to do?

Terrathe

Long post with alot of questions, I hope for some answers or pointers to where I need to look to get the information I need.

I am currently looking through alternatives for implementing "process control" on our machines, we want to be able to log process data, analog values, memory areas and store it in some kind of database on a computer.

For the moment my head is filled to the limit with questions and when I try reading on different homepages I only get more questions instead of answers.

We are using S7-315/317 PLC:s and MP377 with Wincc flexible 2007 mainly, also there exist a TP 177B panel connected to a S7 314C.

I have been experimenting with datalogging on the MP377 panels but feels that there are alot of limitations with it.

What I need is a system that can retrieve real time data from multiple sources and store it in a database making sure that the data is time synchronized.

I have been evaluating MatrikonOPC for Siemens and it seems like that it is the route to go. I have managed to connect to a PLC and get the values from it but havent found a way to store it in a database, will probably need a different program for that part?

For a small company with the need to monitor 3-4 PLC:s at a time which OPC program do you recommend? I suspect that the answer depends alot on what I want to do.

I have noticed that the MP377 panels have an OPC server on them, is it better to get data through the HMI OPC server or directly from the PLC through an OPC server running on a PC?

Will the PLC be affected if both HMI and an OPC server request data from it (Same data)?

The TP177B panel is missing the option for the OPC server but Sm@rtaccess with soap is available, on the siemens homepage they give an example of an excel document that gets data on request, is there software that can do this in real time also and store it in a database.

What options do I have for detection of faultmessages (1 bit on the plc for each message) and sending email/sms when a specific fault message occurs?

Forget the OPC server on the panels. This is the very slow OPC XML variant. Not very useful.

You need to find a bridge between OPC DA Server and SQL databases.
Apart from Matrikon (edit: I think Matrikon calls their product "historian"), there is OPC DataHub, and Inductive Automation, and others.
edit: I got a price from Matrikon once, and it was much more expensive than the other vendors.

"Matrikon OPC for Siemens" sounds as if you mean the OPC DA Server. Please understand that this is just the part that connects to the PLC. The bridge to the SQL databse will be an OPC DA Client.
Personally I prefer the manufacturers own products (Simatic Net for Siemens, RSLinx for Rockwell), but I guess there may be advantages by going the 3rd party route, maybe if the OPC DA Server is bundled with the SQL Database link.

N.B: I think that your topic header has very little to do with what you really want to achieve. It is always important to pick a relevant header to attract people that can potentially answer the questions. It is just a coincidence that I have some experience with WinCC Flexible, and OPC, and SQL data bridging.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response, even though the topic and and content in my post was abit messy. Cant find any way to change the topic now.

After reading your post I have broken down the problem in two parts, Server and client.

I have contacted Siemens for support with their OPC server and what I need from them to set up a server for my needs.

I have downloaded a demo of the OPC datahub and what I can see from the demo without being connected to an OPC server there seem to be options that are interesting to me. both data logging and alarm messages to email.

I also found FactorySQL which seems to have interesting features too.