Safety PLCs

lanczos

Do all of the so-called "Safety PLCs" have a software-generated watchdog or heartbeat, so that if the software locks-up, crashes, or enters an infinite loop (for whatever reason), a hardware layer will detect the loss of the heartbeat and move all outputs to a safe state? Is that a standard feature?

Thanks!

For every safety system that I've used, it's there somewhere, yes. Otherwise it wouldn't be very safe.

In Siemens systems, the outputs themselves are "smart" and do the heartbeat detection as part of the internal diagnostics. If they find a fault in themselves, or if they lose comms to the PLC, then they go to the predefined safe state.

Similar Topics

Hi All, I am looking for a Safety PLC which can execute the I/Os and logic in around 25mSec. This is for about 1000 I/O points. Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
Hello, A new process line is being installed, it has its own safety PLC monitoring various E Stops / Guard switches etc... Within the line is a...
Replies
Views
Are there any documents or standards for calculating the response time for a controls system? For example: Light Curtain response 20ms Safety...
Replies
Views
I have been hearing a lot about "dedicated safety PLCs". I am curious as to why you would need a dedicated PLC to perform safety tasks, and if you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Does anyone have a good overview/camparison of Safety PLCs? Looking at an application with about 15-20 inputs and 5-10 outputs. There...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom