Safety PLCs?

Don't do that, just add him to your ignore list...then none of his posts will be visible to you, and you can continue to provide valuable input to the nice friendly OP.

Ah the venerable ignore list... I need to make better use of the features on this forum. (y)

Karsten: Another option is the Banner SC22-3.
http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-US/products/sub/442/SC22-3-Controller
Similar in price to the G9SP but very limited programmability. 22 inputs, 3 sets of dual outputs. I've used both and the G9SP wins hands down. The only advantage I see with the Banner is that it can be fully configured from front panel, where the G9SP requires software (may be overkill for some applications).

Karsten: Another option is the Banner SC22-3.
http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-US/products/sub/442/SC22-3-Controller
Similar in price to the G9SP but very limited programmability. 22 inputs, 3 sets of dual outputs. I've used both and the G9SP wins hands down. The only advantage I see with the Banner is that it can be fully configured from front panel, where the G9SP requires software (may be overkill for some applications).[/quote]

Seems a little too limited for my taste. Even if it might just fit I prefer things that you have the possibility to do some magic with if(when) the customer changes their minds.

Here in Scandinavia ABB Jokab Pluto PLCs are quite big.
http://www.jokabsafety.com/default....sh&mainpage=templates/jokablist.asp?sida=1658
Never used but the software seems OK and they can be networked.

Back to the original question..

We have installed a lot of Pilz Multi(s).

Now, these are a programmable device, base unit with 20 Inputs & 5/6 Outputs (depends how you configure them).
I like them because of their flexibility - you have many expansion units that are available, including analog inputs & ethernet comms.

But for some reason they don't seem to be called a "Safety PLC"

Post back if you require further info/sample code, etc

Ian

I think that siemens offerings are pretty heavy duty if you are not going to choose to also do the machine program in same plc. If you do, in that case I also would recommend looking at s7-et200-15x plcs.

Phoenix Contact also have safety relays that is programmable
They calls Trisafe and can be expanded with additional input/output modules
Here is one model that i have used:
PSR-SCP- 24DC/TS/M

And freesoftware....

ason can you simulate your circuit to make sure it does what you want before downloading using the phoenix contact software?

I had a look at pilz but had to be online and couldn't simulate!
So far the flexisoft has been the best for me because I can simulate etc without being online then when I go to the customer I know it is right before downloading.

Hello,

Does anyone have a good overview/camparison of Safety PLCs?

Looking at an application with about 15-20 inputs and 5-10 outputs. There are a lot of small safety PLCs on the market but which one to choose?

Maybe my application could be solved with a bunch of safety relays but it would be "fun" to try a safety PLC.

If you have an existing PLC, you could also upgrade it to a safety-rated model. This might be more useful to you than learning a separate safety PLC - my guess is that the marketplace will increasingly demand safety as an integrated function in the PLC, as it means the maintenance people only need to learn to use one development environment for troubleshooting.

ason can you simulate your circuit to make sure it does what you want before downloading using the phoenix contact software?

Yes there is a simulator, and it also can Simulate time sequences.

download the program and do a test project and run some simulations,
you only need to register at there homepage.

I also think that the new trisafe can handle safety dist i/o and bridge to other PLC systems

If you have an existing PLC, you could also upgrade it to a safety-rated model. This might be more useful to you than learning a separate safety PLC - my guess is that the marketplace will increasingly demand safety as an integrated function in the PLC, as it means the maintenance people only need to learn to use one development environment for troubleshooting.
IMHO this is not a good approach. I strongly prefer having the safety controller and machine controller as separate devices, to ensure that a proven safety configuration cannot be compromised by changes to the machine program. The only way I'd buy into an integrated controller is if the safety and non-safety functions were clearly separated in software, with access controls in place (i.e. password protection).