Scaling Problem unsloved : need experts

jamalshahid

Hello Ron,

Please post my project and explain forum people what i am trying to solve. so in that way people can use their experience and opinion to solve the problem. This project is becoming unbeatable for me. Need your help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

as requested ...

I've attached the ACD file as a ZIP file for those who have access to RSLogix5000 version 17 ...

the ZIP file also contains the program as an L5K library file which might be useful to some readers ...

I've also included a PDF printout for those who don't have RSLogix5000 available at all ...

here is what I've found by going through the program file ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=425230&postcount=15

and I certainly agree with my distinguished colleague Bob_O ...

I hope this helps ...

L02_PRESS_TEMP - Ladder Diagram Page 17
R100_68126:MainTask:MainProgram 5/14/2011 9:16:50 PM
Total number of rungs in routine: 29 E:\File.ACD
RSLogix 5000
SCP Is An Add-On instruction that converts the input data to scaled values.
These rungs convert the raw input from the pressure transmitters to Inches Water Column or PSI values as appropriate.

It performs the same as the SCP instruction in earlier Logix Versions.
The Offsets are ADDED to the target tag to correct for inaccuracies.
Adding a negative will subtract from the reading.

0 Scale With Parameters

SCP scp_4ch0 ...
Input Local:4:I.Ch0Data
Input_Min -32767 - - - - - - -//Make this local or global variables X1
Input_Max 32767 - - - - - - -//This one too X2
Scaled_Min -407.853 - - - - - - -//And this one Y1
Scaled_Max 830.397 - - - - - - -//And again. Y2
Output Gas_Inlet_P

By using literals in your SCP blocks, you can't correct your scaling without a online code edit.

Make those literals into tags, so they can be adjusted via HMI or RSLogix5000.

Then put your raw values into them by measuring with a separate instrument. Apply a known signal and enter the raw number from the analog input data point into the X1 value, and put the engineering units into the Y1 value.

Example:
If you apply 30psi and get a raw data of 2765, then highlight your scp_input_minimum and change it to 2765. Then put 30 into Y1 the same way, by clicking on the value, typing the new one and press enter while online with the processor. If you want more precision, enter 3000 for Y1 and describe it as psi*100.

Then apply 60 psi to the input card and repeat above steps for X2 (raw) and Y2 (engineering).

Mud as Clear?

I am not going to hunt down your original thread to remind you what the raw signals and the engineering units are supposed to be, and I am not going to look further than the first actual rung of logic, but I suspect the same design weakness exists elsewhere.

Last edited:
the hazards of jumping from thread to thread ...

from my earlier post - in that earlier thread ... (linked in post #3 above) ...

(2) whoever wrote those SCP Add-On Instructions got the internal formula wrong ...

Jamal ...

if you're going to use handy-dandy Add-On Instructions, then you need to make absolutely certain that they work correctly ...

suggestion: use your original formula and set up a simple Fahrenheit to Centigrade conversion ... does the answer come out correct? ... oops! ... then you can't expect your scaling to come out correctly either ...

if you insist on using those AOIs then NOTHING is going to work properly until the formula inside them has been corrected ...

Last edited:
My recommendation is to get a system integrator to help you with this. Like everyone that has offered help so far. You need to provide a lot more information on what your process is and how it runs. How do you plan on producing the needed pressure if 0.3? Is it a blower application or a gas regulation system with a I/P valve.
Where are you at in Tennessee? There are several guys around that area that we could recommend.

Thanks everyone for the reply. So it means i have to apply -30 psi and whatever the value comes i have to put in scaled min i.e Y1 and then i have to apply 30 psi and whatever the value comes i have to apply in scaled max Y2. Right!! please correct me if i am wrong.

What about X1 and X2
Can i put X1 -29821
and X2 29085
Some one told me in this forum that X1 and X2 are these values for 1769.

Now i am going to do this

X1 -29821
X2 29085
Y1 by applying -30 psi pressure whatever the value comes i will put that
Y2 by applying 30 psi pressure whatever the value comes i will put that

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

PLEASE ALSO TELL ME HOW TO CORRECT ADD ON INSTRUCTION because few people mentioned might be there is a problem in that.

Thanks everyone for helping me and for your replies.

Correct math in it. You should be able to look at that equation and see where it's wrong.

You need to get the manuals and look at the manuals for that 1769 card.

Are you a system integrator or end user?

Are you sure those numbers equal 4~20mA? A small miscalculation can be devistating on a system
You will see where people try to add a offset to makeup for bad math and that only further skews the errors.
I am sorry I can't help you any further on this issue.

Thanks everyone for the reply. So it means i have to apply -30 psi and whatever the value comes i have to put in scaled min i.e Y1 and then i have to apply 30 psi and whatever the value comes i have to apply in scaled max Y2. Right!! please correct me if i am wrong.

The advice which I gave you and the solution you offer quoted here is only valid if your SCP AOI works and the analog signal is linear. If it doesn't work then DON"T USE IT! Just keep it simple and do the math with a CPT statement.

It makes me grateful that I had Mr. Lavin for 8th grade algebra, because 50 years I can still do y=mx+b and know what it means.

can still do y=mx+b and know what it means

I am also grateful to a similar instructor so that I can derive 'm' and 'b' quickly from X1 Y1 and X2 Y2. He also required that we learn the slide rule (mid 1960's). I still have mine.

Yeah, the whole cartesian coordinate thing just makes it make sense, huh?

I agree, Bernie, the slide rule ruled.

In 5th grade some idiot educator decided to accelerate the learning of the kids who were already proficient in arithmetic by taking 2 kids from each 5th grade classroom, sticking them off by themselves while the rest of the class labored with standard long divsion problems. The accelerated people had to do 'accelerated' long division problems, which meant 25 or 30 long division problems daily with more digits, like 392836/498, instead of 4524/337.

I was furious. It was mickey mouse. Once a concept is learned, what's the point of doing numerous, senseless long division problems? So I refused to do it and that became a 'discipline' issue at school. When the school brought my Dad into the picture, he was amused. He understood my refusal implicitly and told me he'd show me how to game the bureaucratic system on this one. He bought me a 6" cheapie plastic slide rule and in about 3 minutes showed me how to use it.

With the slide rule, doing that daily set of long division problems became a game of "race the clock" and I think we managed to beat 4 minutes at one point, which left more than half an hour to goof around after cranking out a set of silly answers.