Security Alarm

traffic light

Perfect sense and I have that 25sec timer in my 1st rung, however, I went on to make individual timers too???? Over thinking again? Making something difficult out of nothing is my forte

N/S Red #0 O:3/0
N/S Yel #1 O:3/1
N/S Grn #2 O:3/2
N/S_LT #3 O:3/3
E/W Red #4 O:3/4
E/W Yel #5 O:3/5
E/W Grn #6 O:3/6
E/W _LT #7 O:3/7

Please help me figure out the patterns for the Outputs.
The first (left-most) bits in the Output word O:3 should all be 0 in all steps, because we are not using them. The right-most 8 bits will depend on whether we want the light in that step to be ON (1) or OFF (0). Please fill in the X's!

_______O:3/15 to 8______O:3/7 to O:3/0
____________________7___6___5___4___3___2___1___0__
__STEP-1_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-2_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-3_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-4_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-5_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-6_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-7_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-8_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-9_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__

Last edited:
Perfect sense and I have that 25sec timer in my 1st rung, however, I went on to make individual timers too???? Over thinking again?
The easiest way is to use one timer, but then to control each output we can use comparison statements that look at the timer Accumulator value. For example, to load our first sequencer Output pattern (Step 1), we could look to see if the timer has moved off of 0 seconds (If T4:0.ACC = 1 then trigger the SQO Step 1).

Have you figured out how to fill in the table yet? Here, I wil do the first one for you. From our corrected Step table, we know that in Step 1, Outputs 3:4 and 3:0 should be ON (= 1). By default (because binary numbers can only be 0 or 1) the other 14 bits of our 16-bit Output word O:3 must be 0!

____________________7___6___5___4___3___2___1___0_ _
__STEP-1_00000000___0___0___0___1___0___0___0___1__
__STEP-2_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-3_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-4_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-5_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-6_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-7_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-8_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__
__STEP-9_00000000___X___X___X___X___X___X___X___X__

Last edited:
N/S Red #0 O:3/0
N/S Yel #1 O:3/1
N/S Grn #2 O:3/2
N/S_LT #3 O:3/3
E/W Red #4 O:3/4
E/W Yel #5 O:3/5
E/W Grn #6 O:3/6
E/W _LT #7 O:3/7

Please help me figure out the patterns for the Outputs.
The first (left-most) bits in the Output word O:3 should all be 0 in all steps, because we are not using them. The right-most 8 bits will depend on whether we want the light in that step to be ON (1) or OFF (0). Please fill in the X's!

____________________7___6___5___4___3___2___1___0_ _
__STEP-1_00000000___0___0___0___1___0___0___0___1__
__STEP-2_00000000___0___0___0___1___1___0___0___1__
__STEP-3_00000000___0___0___0___1___0___0___0___1__
__STEP-4_00000000___0___0___0___1___0___1___0___0__
__STEP-5_00000000___0___0___0___1___0___0___1___0__
__STEP-6_00000000___0___0___0___1___0___0___0___1__
__STEP-7_00000000___1___0___0___1___0___0___0___1__
__STEP-8_00000000___0___1___0___0___0___0___0___1__
__STEP-9_00000000___0___0___1___0___0___0___0___1__

This what you wanted? Hope so!
Yeah , sorry, took me a sec to fig out and copy to word and then re copy to here

Great job! Now lets enter those binary numbers into Data Table B3:1 to B3:9.

1. In your LogixPro program, right-click on any instruction on any rung, and select "Goto Data Table", then
2. In the Input Table menu, click on the down-arrow on right of "Table:" and select "B3:Binary", then
3. Make sure that B3:0/ shows all 0's.
4. For B3:1, make it look like the pattern table that you just filled out, by replacing the 0's in the correct bits that need to be ON for Step 1.
4. Continue with the other 8 Steps, loading the bits for each one. Two of them with the Left Turns will have three ONE bits.
5. When you have all the binary bits set, then on the left side of the Binary Table in Logixpro, there is a pull-down menu for "Radix". That means to select which number system you want to convert or view the numbers. Click on "Decimal".
6. Now copy the decimal values from B3:1 to B3:9 to the MOV Destinations in your LogixPro program Rung 2.

Do all that, then we can finish this thing up and test it!

Last edited:
traffic light

:mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!! I can print what we have and do it on tuesday. I only have access to classroom and actual plc on tues & thurs. But tues is the last time. I can merely draw it on paper right as that what I have been doing as we been working through all this and reading inmy book and researching other topics and such.

What would be my next step after MOV instruction in rung 2.
Is my first rung going to be a dummy bit and the 25 sec timer or we doing this differently?

Sadly the class room doesn't have internet, so I would have to do it in plc, run over to library to get internet and respond to you and then back to class etc....There was easier way to tell me I needed to exercise besides that! lol

Last edited:
I can print what we have and do it on tuesday. I only have access to classroom and actual plc on tues & thurs. But tues is the last time. I can merely draw it on paper right as that what I have been doing as we been working through all this and reading inmy book and researching other topics and such.
If you download LogixPro Simulator from thelearningpit.com, you can run the Traffic Light Simulator and watch it run!

What would be my next step after MOV instruction in rung 2.
Make it almost a duplicate of the program I posted in Post #36, the typical traffic light using a sequencer. The only things different:

1. You have 9 steps instead of 6, so change the SQO Lenth from 6 to 9.
2. Your Outputs are in Slot 3 instead of 2, so change O:2 to O:3 in the SQO.
3. For Rung 001, add 3 more rung branches and change all of the EQU comparison "Source B" values to match the timer settings posted in Post #45.
4. For Rung 002, add 3 more rung branches and fill in with the appropriate B3:7 through B3:9 values that you figured out yourself (making a total of 9 rung branches, one for each of the 9 Steps).
5. You can change the Mask in the SQO instruction to 00FFh to allow only the lower 8 bits of the output to be controlled by the SQO. This is an optional change in this case.

Here is a a copy of the running program. Note that to run it in LogixPro, the Output must be Word 2, because that is the Output word that the LogixPro Traffic Light Simualtor uses. You can adjust it to run on your lab computer by change the "Dest" in the SQO instruction.

WARNING: This program does not have the added Input switches (AUTO, OFF, CHANGE) to do certain things required by your lab. I could not find out how exactly how those are supposed to work. You can probably add those to work with the sequencer. Basically you probably need to stop the sequencer (by stopping the Timer) and then manually set certain outputs as required.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the ZIP format is the only one allowed for posting executable files on this site. Can you download the PDF file in the previous post? It is the same file, so at least you can read it.

If you download LogixPro Simulator from thelearningpit.com, you can run the Traffic Light Simulator and watch it run!

Make it almost a duplicate of the program I posted in Post #36, the typical traffic light using a sequencer. The only things different:

1. You have 9 steps instead of 6, so change the SQO Lenth from 6 to 9.
2. Your Outputs are in Slot 3 instead of 2, so change O:2 to O:3 in the SQO.
3. For Rung 001, add 3 more rung branches and change all of the EQU comparison "Source B" values to match the timer settings posted in Post #45.
4. For Rung 002, add 3 more rung branches and fill in with the appropriate B3:7 through B3:9 values that you figured out yourself (making a total of 9 rung branches, one for each of the 9 Steps).
5. You can change the Mask in the SQO instruction to 00FFh to allow only the lower 8 bits of the output to be controlled by the SQO. This is an optional change in this case.

Here is a a copy of the running program. Note that to run it in LogixPro, the Output must be Word 2, because that is the Output word that the LogixPro Traffic Light Simualtor uses. You can adjust it to run on your lab computer by change the "Dest" in the SQO instruction.

WARNING: This program does not have the added Input switches (AUTO, OFF, CHANGE) to do certain things required by your lab. I could not find out how exactly how those are supposed to work. You can probably add those to work with the sequencer. Basically you probably need to stop the sequencer (by stopping the Timer) and then manually set certain outputs as required.

On this here with additional switches, would it be easier to just write a timer or counter program, backwards program persay. He mentioned something about having trouble doing this with sqo but did not say why, I assumed it was because we did not cover sqo and I would not understand, which not claiming I do...I got what we have done but dont understand how it knows rest of info and makes it work. when I did run of it I didnt see anything. TON never started or nothing

No, I think this Lab Exercise was designed to use the Sequencer method. It will run in LogixPro, if you have the paid version. I think you can download a Student version for much less. You might need your instructor's name or course name, or something.