Seeking Compactlogix L33ER Configuration Advice Please

Craig T

Hi all,

One of our latest projects is to replace an S7/300 unit that has profibus and OSI net I/O components with a L33ER and 1794-AENTR modules
. 1 processor + 5 ethernet I/O modules for the remote panel I/O. I've done a decent amount of program editing in my time, but I've never commissioned a fresh unit from scratch like this before. Can anyone give me an overall idea of what's in store for us to get the I/O modules communicating with the processor and/or is there anything out there in the form of a step by step guide? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Signed,
Clueless in Texas

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi

This units are very easy to setup with an l32 sorry I have never used an l33er.
I bought a unit from the automation store for setting the IP address a sit works great with flex I/o just if you have to set them on a different subnet from the default one.
If you have analogues or high speed counter cards I wood suggest you read the manuals. A good switch or hub for your network is important and also remember the distance limits on Ethernet

Flex on Ethernet I think is great and easy to set up

Donnchadh

Last edited:
I can recommend some essential manuals, available from the RA Literature website.

1. The POINT I/O Selection Guide, 1734-SG001

This is absolutely essential for the first-time POINT I/O user. It will help you understand how to choose the right terminal blocks and how to divide your power connections up for the best noise resistance and power capacity, and has excellent reference information for the broad variety of POINT I/O modules.

2. EtherNet/IP Modules in Logix 5000 Control Systems, ENET-UM001.

This is the big summary book of how various ControlLogix family Ethernet modules work with various adapter devices.

3. EtherNet/IP Design, Commisioning, and Troubleshooting Quick Reference Drawings, IASIMP-QR023B.

Handy and simple example layouts.

4. Ethernet Design Considerations Reference Manual, ENET-RM002

Considerations for selecting switches and determining capacity.

5. CompactLogix Selection Guide, 1769-SG001

Overall review of the CompactLogix controllers, including the specs for your 1769-L33ER controller.

Somehow I looked right at your post about using FLEX I/O and then Donnchadh's post about FLEX.... and then I replaced it in my mind with POINT I/O.

So discard what I said about POINT, and substitute the FLEX I/O 1794-AENTR user manual and the FLEX selection guide.

FLEX is a mature product that works with a broad selection of adapters and controllers, and the 1794-AENTR Series B hardware has the convenient thumbwheel style switches to set the IP address on the default 192.168.1.xxx private subnet. I strongly recommend using that subnet for your machine if you can.

I need to sit down with our IT manager and hash the IP addressing out with him. What are the pro's and con's of going with another IP addressing schedule? If I understand it correctly, we'd have to assign a distinct .xxx for all 6 components correct? I fear he's going to want to tell us what the processor IP assignment will be, but I don't think he knows yet that there's 5 more to go along with it. I'm hoping that if he sticks to an assigned address that he can at least set his port to transpose the addressing at the switch to allow for the private 192.168.1.xxx.

Hi

For you it would be best if that was the case. Just a note on IT in must places they do not understand why a plc and the I/o on Ethernet needs a static IP address but you will have to let him know that's the way it has to be.
Again stick with the default ip if you can and not I would look at the unit in the automation store for about 100 dollars I think it has been of great use for setting IP address in flex and the like

Donnchadh

I can recommend some essential manuals, available from the RA Literature website.

1. The POINT I/O Selection Guide, 1734-SG001

This is absolutely essential for the first-time POINT I/O user. It will help you understand how to choose the right terminal blocks and how to divide your power connections up for the best noise resistance and power capacity, and has excellent reference information for the broad variety of POINT I/O modules.

2. EtherNet/IP Modules in Logix 5000 Control Systems, ENET-UM001.

This is the big summary book of how various ControlLogix family Ethernet modules work with various adapter devices.

3. EtherNet/IP Design, Commisioning, and Troubleshooting Quick Reference Drawings, IASIMP-QR023B.

Handy and simple example layouts.

4. Ethernet Design Considerations Reference Manual, ENET-RM002

Considerations for selecting switches and determining capacity.

5. CompactLogix Selection Guide, 1769-SG001

Overall review of the CompactLogix controllers, including the specs for your 1769-L33ER controller.

One more, and, with argument, the most important one....
Release NotesCompactLogix 5370 L3 Controller, 2Mb Memory, w/Supercap Backup, up to 16 1769 I/O expansion modules, 32 EtherNet/IP and 120 TCP Version 20.011 - 21.011
Catalog Number 1769-L33ER (series A)