Selecting a laptop for PLC programming.

Dave S.

I am in the market for a laptop to use for programming PLCs. I have friends who use PLCs, but have not worked with them directly. I have not chosen a specific line of PLCs to work with, but I am leaning towards AutomationDirect at this time. Are there any special considerations when selecting a laptop, or can I buy any machine running Windows 8? Today's RAM and hard disk space seems to be vastly sufficient for the purpose otherwise. Thank you.

To some extent it does matter, but mostly be sure that the PC you elect to get supports the requirements of the development system(s) you plan to use.
A lot depends on how serious you plan to get with PLC development. You could easily end up having to support more than one type of PLC, touchscreens, and other peripheral devices with this laptop. You might need to use Ethernet, USB, RS232, and/or RS485 communications all at the same time.
Another thing to consider is the work environment. You might find you need an "industrial grade" laptop that can survive in some fairly hostile locations and take a beating. Battery life and/or power supply can also become a concern under some circumstances.

Welcome to the Forum!

There are many threads on here discussing this topic :)

Personally I do use a Windows 8 laptop (Yoga 2 Pro) but I put almost all of my automation software into a Windows 7 Virtual Machine and it works great. Some vendors support Windows 8, but its normally only for their latest and greatest if at all. For stuff that requires a serial port I use this: https://www.serialgear.com/1-Port-422-485-USB-USB-COMi-M.html

-Benaiah

Thank you for the replies. I guess I will have to know more about what PLC I'm going to use before I can buy a machine. The plan for now is to have something to run software and a simulator. I'm trying to find a PLC course around here, Westen Mass., but haven't had much luck yet. I've been spending quite a bit of time on line wherever I can find PLC info, and there is a ton of it out there. Learning a lot, and starting to understand the different terminologies is really helpful.

Hi Dave,

If this is for your own use and you are flipping the bill.... then just search on ebay for a good Dell laptop, I have a lot of them running different OS's and all PLC programming software on the market, I am still a fan of Windows 7 Pro, the last 5 I got were refurbished buy Dell (they sell on eBay) the E5500 is one of the last with a real serial port

These are some that take returns (VERY IMPORTANT) http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptops-Net...GB%20or%20more&_nkw=dell+e5500&rt=nc&LH_RPA=1

If you plan an programming Allen Bradley, then they have a free software for programming the MicroLogix (RSLogix 500), Automation Direct also offers free software on a couple of there lines... the CLICK is a great option and not very expensive

Hope this helps
Mark

(((EDIT))) This looks like its a good deal, its running W7 Pro and you have a 14day return http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-E5500-...29147413?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item19f1b1db15

Last edited: