Sending commands with an SLC5/05

masonpanic

I am trying to receive status off of a Powerware UPS by sending it an "F" or "Format" command which in turn will give me an 80 character string of info related to the status. I am trying to do this via the serial port on the SLC 5/05. Im not quite sure how to set this up in ladder. I do know how I have to set up my channel configuration but am just not sure how to send the message "F" or "Format" to get the string of info back. I believe Ive figured out what to do with the string once I have it to start pulling out the info I need. If anyone knows plese give up some tips.

I am trying to receive status off of a Powerware UPS by sending it an "F" or "Format" command which in turn will give me an 80 character string of info related to the status. I am trying to do this via the serial port on the SLC 5/05. Im not quite sure how to set this up in ladder. I do know how I have to set up my channel configuration but am just not sure how to send the message "F" or "Format" to get the string of info back. I believe Ive figured out what to do with the string once I have it to start pulling out the info I need. If anyone knows plese give up some tips.[/QUOTE]

if you'll open the .RSS file attached to the bottom of this post you might be able to get some tips from the end of the "transmit" ladder file ... I had to add all of that junk at the top of the file in order to build a text string in a very specific format ... you probably won't need any of that ...

if I understand your problem, you just need to stick the "F" (or whatever needs to go out) in an ST-type location ... then try using the AWA instruction to push the string out the Channel 0 port ...

try that and see what happens ...

survival tip: sometimes it's easiest to use HyperTerminal as a "dummy" receiver while you're debugging something like this ... that way you can "see" what's actually being transmitted from the SLC ... once that's done, then hook up the real field device ...