Sensor testing device?

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Does anyone know of a source for a decent sensor tester? Basically I'm looking for a small handheld device that could generate low-current 24vdc (i.e. from a 9v battery), and would have connections for brown, blue, and black wires from a sensor. Then some LEDs and maybe a beeper will indicate if the sensor is tripped. Maybe a switch for NPN vs. PNP?

This seems like it would be a pretty handy device. A salesman gave me something like this a few years ago but it didn't have any step-up circuitry, so it didn't work with any sensors that required more than 10v or so. I was thinking about building my own but I need to get out of the habit of starting projects that don't make us any money.

My local rep for ifm left me this one :)

http://www.ifm-electronic.com/ifmca/web/padv1!US_1_70_20_10_10_30_10.html

Edit..Copy and past the link above to get to the web page.

A few of the techs on our maintenance staff have built several of these in various varieties. They purchase a small box, a couple of LEDs and some binding posts at the local electronics supply house and solder them up. Nothing too fancy, sometimes they even solder the batteries in since they aren't used much and are likely to last a couple of years.

RS Components sell a ready made unit . check their catalogue online
rswww.com
part no 413-9815 £67.07 each

Last edited:
I made a unit with 2off 9v PP3 batteries with 2off leds... one green led switched in PNP mode and the other (red) in NPN mode.

I used a pushbutton to apply power.

I used a M12 Brad Harrison connector to connect to sensors.

When power is applied and the sensor is in the unswitched mode both leds light then switch as appropriate.

Works a treat and everyone in awr as to the magic of it! You know...real magic, isn't it. Ha.

I fitted all this into a Telemechanique single gang pushbutton enclosure.

It works... that's all that matters. 18v powers the sensor no problem. An M12 adaptor to choccy block enables leaded sensors to be connected.

I've also araldited a refelctor and strip of ferrous metal to the enclosure for testing retro-reflective and inductive proxis.

Regards and best wishes for Christmas - be safe and enjoy.

As I'm an employee of Guinness - DRINK RESPONSIBLY!

silva.foxx

i also got similar one (hardly used it). it's very simple device, looks like this:

tester.jpg

Wow thanks for everyone's suggestions. Now I'm leaning towards building my own again. Looking at that Banner device gave me the idea of putting M8 and M12 connectors on it as well as spring terminals.

kolyur,

Omron sell's two sensor checkers:
Part#E39-VA (Does not work with PNP sensors)
Part#Y92E-SC1 (Works with both NPN/PNP)

They also were giving away a Sensor Checker Part#OSC-P some time back as part of the E2FM promotion(this may be a regional thing).

Check with an Omron rep or disty about the OSC-P.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
o_O

I have a box that you can get all the stuff from radio shack that works great. a 3 or 4 way wire terminal, a light, 2 9volt batteries, and 2 9volt wire caps. Stand the batteries side by side. Stand the + to -
Wiring
Brown-red wire from the positive side
blue-Black wire in series with the light
black-the red off the light goes to the black terminal

I can send a picture if your not sure