Series Selector...

escoplcguy

Is there a site or something on the rockwell site that can tell you the difference between series A, B, C, D ect.... on modules. for instance, i am looking to purches a 1756-DHRIO module, and i can get one used for testing purposes, but i dont know whether i should get series A - E. I can buy one right now for $198 but its series C. does this make a difference when connecting control logix to SLC or PLC-5 Remote I/O...or if i connect to PV1400E through DH+. Keep in mind the control logix processor will be controling one of the chassis which has digital and analog points. (only 2 analog cards)

this happens alot when buying used modules, whats compadible with what and how can i figure it out without buying something that will not work....EX i bought a ethernet side card for a PLC-5/40 and i was going to order a series A then found out the series A wouldnt work with what we had....I dont want to always be asking what series should i buy over and over again.

thank you all in advance

Last edited:
RA puts compatibility information into the Release Notes for new Series or Revisions of devices, and into some User Manuals for older devices.

For example, the good old 1771-ASB RIO adapter. The Series compatibility information is addressed by Appendix C in the User Manual.

The 1756-DHRIO module, like most ControlLogix modules, has Release Notes that are published independently of the User Manual.

The Release Notes aren't always comprehensive, though, which is why we have things like the Knowledgebase and various Forums.

For example, the original 1756-DHRIO didn't support DH+ at 230.4 kb/s. That feature was added in the Series C hardware, and it requires that Channel B be disabled. I can't find that information in my review of either the User Manual or the Release Notes, but I know it's in the Knowledgebase.

RA doesn't have a strong interest in making sure you can buy used hardware on eBay accurately, so you're going to find their documentation focusing on the capabilities of things you can buy new, rather than devices that stopped production years ago.

maybe on the side in spare time i could develop an app that can tell you compatibility between series for us that dont want to spend 2,000 on a brand new module that might not do everything you expected it to do.....and rather spen 200 on a used one to find that out......speaking of apps, is there a rockwell catalog for the iPhone yet!? or for plctalk.net :) i'd like some push notifications when i get replies

....speaking of apps, is there a rockwell catalog for the iPhone yet!? or for plctalk.net :) i'd like some push notifications when i get replies
You can get email notifications when someone replies to a thread.

At the top right of each thread: Thread Tools --> Subscribe to this Thread

There used to be an RSS feed here. I never used it, so I don't know if it's still available... :confused:

🍻

-Eric