Servo Axis Gear Question.

Stanly1355

I have a virtual master that drives all servos. How do I make Virtual Master or any Servo to follow regular encoder which is driven by Regular Drive or Motor? Studio 5000

Hi,

Many of the kinetix servo drives have auxiliary inputs for an encoder.
The easiest and best solution is to use this input.

This way you can create a virtual axis and select the auxiliary input from the drive, like you would select the drive on a normal cip axis.

The "harder to get working" solution is to create a virtual axis and then using 2 MAM instructions to move the virtual encoder to the position of your encoder input in each scan cycle.

There is an AOI called AOI_Flex_gear which can do this for you... I have never used it in a real life application, so i cannot be of any help if you run into problems.
I belive to remember it is part of the "machine builder library" that you can download from their website.

If you are not used to work with motion, i would deffently suggest going the easy route and using an auxiliary input on a drive.

Yes, but the challenge is dividing the encoder signal to each of the servos.

Kinetix drives are synchronized via CIP motion over ethernet/ip.
A virtual axis can be generated from an encoder input on any of the drives which are part of the motion group.
The already existing virtual master that OP already have can then be geared to this new virtual axis, and the drives will follow OP's encoder.
(Granted that the scaling is set correctly on the new virtual axis)

Kinetix drives are synchronized via CIP motion over ethernet/ip.
Yes, but there must be feedback to each of the servos. The virtual master generates the target position for each of the servos but each servo must have an encoder feedback to generate a position error for the PID.

A virtual axis can be generated from an encoder input on any of the drives which are part of the motion group.
Yes, that generates the target position and velocity for each of the servos but the servos must have their own encoder to ensure they are tracking the virtual master's target position and velocity.

The already existing virtual master that OP already have can then be geared to this new virtual axis, and the drives will follow OP's encoder.
(Granted that the scaling is set correctly on the new virtual axis)
How can each servo drive use one encoder?