Servo/PLC Application Help.....

JoseM

I need some advice on servo drive systems. Here is the situation, I have a machine that I already upgraded to a Micrologix1400 PLC and is working fine.

Now, there is a 5 Hp motor on that machine that drives an "Elevator". Currently we are using an induction motor on a motor starter.

I will like to able to control the speed of the elevator and also the indexing of the servo motor for a more accurate stop position after every indexing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never done a servo application, so I'm looking for some coaching on how to go about doing it.

If you're using dol already then a cheaper option worth considering which will still yield excellent results compared to your existing set up is to run a vector drive in position mode. WEG CFW11 VSD has encoder option card and it has expandable I/O cards available along with an inbuilt PLC programmed in ladder which also allows full access and modification of the drive parameters. Very handy for changing ramp times etc. on the fly. I have used them before and can vouch that they are very flexible, easy to configure and work as intended. For smaller jobs you can use them as the entire control system.