Setting the Drive Mode in Kinetix300

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Kinetix 300 Servo Drive (2097-V33PR3)

In the MotionView OnBoard software, I can change the drive mode to EtherNet/IP External Reference.
Once I have done this, I can control the motor with the PLC.
Lifes good, but when I cycle power to the drive, the drive comes back to life in drive mode Indexing.
I have to go back into the MotionViewSoftware in order to change it back to EtherNet/IP External Reference.
I want it to come back to life in Drive Mode EtherNet/IP External Reference
Any ideas on how to make it stick?
Thanks

Can you do a save and post the configuration file of your parameters?

Also, it is possible to change that mode from the PLC.

Look at the 8th word of the output tag in your PLC, possibly you are overwriting it there. Looking at my offline values, it should be set to 3.

...Look at the 8th word of the output tag in your PLC, possibly you are overwriting it there. Looking at my offline values, it should be set to 3.
I guess that's where I am a little bit confused.
Which table do I look in?
When you say the 8th word, do you mean L210:8?

Settings11-04-2011.jpg

Sorry, I assumed you were using 5000.

I am talking about L210:2

ReferenceSource This field defines the type of control being exerted over EtherNet/IP network (0 = current, 1 = velocity, 2 =
incremental position, 3 = absolute position, 4 = incremental registration, 5 = absolute registration).

I haven't done the Kinetix300 yet with RSLogix500, just RSLogix5000. I am not certain how it is handling the messaging.

In any event, that doesn't appear to be your problem.

You can performan an Explicit message to the drive.
Instance 266 is the Drive mode, and you can set dynamically.
It is possible something in your program is overwriting 266. Maybe you should unhook the processor of the PLC and try rebooting the drive again. If it comes up what it should, then you know it is being changed by the PLC.

Damian you are right, the PLC is setting the value.
I disconnected the PLC like you said, and the drive mode did not change.

I think that it is Message MG200:5
Let me read up on that.
Thanks

K1WrtDriveNode.jpg

A couple more questions

This is the first time that I have worked with these servo motors, and I have made a lot of progress. I've got everything talking and I am able to get all of the motions that I am looking for. I am now trying to speed things up a bit.

I attached a pdf which simplifies what I am doing with the first Axis

If I press the start button with b3:/0 on the Axis will be energized and Motion will start.
The Motor turns 6 revolutions clockwise. (as long as I hold the button in)
Everything is good.
Now if I Toggle off b3:/0 and toggle on b3/1 and press the start button the motor will move to the mid position (Two revolutions back counter clockwise)

Here is what I want to do, but I can't seem to get it to work.
I want to get the motor to shake, that is move to the Forward position(6), then the Mid position (4), then back to the forward position(6) back and forth about three times.

At first I tried using timers, but it seems like I have to put in an inordinately long delay between cycles.
I tried manually doing this with a push button, and if I release the button and press it again real fast I get no motion even though the reference position has changed.
If I release the button and wait for a half a second and press it, then I get the motion that I am looking for. I guess it is the delay in the Ethernet?
I think that I am going to have to do an Index move.
With an Index move can you move a motor back and forth like this?

Micrologix1400 connected to Ethernet to Kinetix 300 and Rockwell MPL-A310F-HJ72AA

So I found out that the Indexing mode really gets me the best motion.
I am using a MPL-A310F-HJ72AA driven by a Kinetix 300 (2097-V33PR3)
I am using it to move a Feed shoe in and out with shake so I must use Indexing motion.
It is really quite simple, 6 turns in, a half a turn back out, and back in two more times, then back to home.

The Motor uses Incremental encoding so I have to set a home position on power up.
In order to set the Home position I use a prox switch on a Cam.
On Startup the drive is set to Ethernet/IP

If the Home Bit L208:1/6 is not set the HMI indicates that the drive is not homed.
I have the operator press the start button which slowly moves the motor back until the prox switch lights up, and then I use the PLC to set the Home position using (L210:0/3) Define Home Bit.
Now that the Motor is Homed, I would like to switch it over to Indexing.
I am attempting to do this with commands from the PLC Micrologix 1400 (1766-L32AWAA)
I understand that I have to put a 6 into L204:1, and I am able to do this with the Messaging instruction. (using Modified code from the Rockwell Sample code SMC_ENETIP_ML1400_K300_2AXIS_V1_0.rss)

The thing is, I think that the Kinetix 300 Drive needs to be restarted in order for the Mode to be changed.
How can I restart the drive without losing the Home position that I just set?

I can change the drive setting using the MotionView software, and it works real good, but I need to be able to use the PLC to change the Drive mode from Ethenet/IP to Indexing.
Any thoughts?

ProxSwitchSetup.jpg