short circuit current

ungaro

Hi, does any of you guys know a (free) program to calculate short circuit currents in power distribution systems? Thanks.

Thats not a small task..but if any hereone here did know od one it would be Ron Doran.. I dont think i would want the liability of calcualting that unless i knew what i was doing..(Meaning i would want to be able to calclute on paper before trusting a "free" program to do it..I mean how would you know if the answer was correct?)..

D

ungaro,

Yes, there are many free spreadsheet programs that can be downloaded from the Internet. I have one that I can post later.

Lancie1 said:
ungaro,

Yes, there are many free spreadsheet programs that can be downloaded from the Internet. I have one that I can post later.

WOW..I guess i just never looked..I figured that would be harder info to come by.. I guess i just got that 20 page report from the engineer for my settings and figured it way complex!!..(As my old instructor used to say..its all done with smoke and mirrors)

Sorry ungaro..I misled you..

Darren,

It is still a difficult task. You must have wire type, size, and length, conduit type, transformer impedance, and other facts for EVERY part of the circuit. Short-circuit calculations are only as good as the input data, and the data is usually filled with errors. So the calculations can only get you in the ballpark, but luckily is is usually a pretty large ballpark.

ungaro,

I have attached a copy of a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, "Fault Current Calculator", free program, written by John Sokolik. It has a handy built in Example sheet, with explanations for each Input.

Last edited:
Try this adres;

http://www.et-installateur.nl/default.asp?id=handige%20software&pict=20

There are also other calculationprograms, but for every body who does not understand dutch; sorry guys. But maybe with the online-helpfile '?' you can understand what your input should be. If not, you can always ask help.

'Aantal kabels' = number-amount of cables
'lengte' = length
'doorsnede' = section
'Verdeler' = distributor
Cable 1->“Hoofdverdeler”; cable 2 ->“Sub1”.