Should be simple, but it's got me stumped

Matthew@LSC

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind a clamp solenoid closing, and this particular bit of logic isn't acting like I think it should, maybe someone can explain to me why my thinking is wrong on this? This is on a Mistubishi PLC, using GX Developer 8.28e. Thanks for your help in advance!

What I'm looking at:

--| |----[> K8 D5000]--------( )

The part that's throwing me for a loop, is the instruction in the square brackets, [> K8 D5000]
I was thinking it was supposed to mean if the value of D5000 is greater than 8, then the logic passes through? But as near as I can tell, D5000 is always valued at 0, and it's being interpreted as true, passing the logic through. Consequently, the solenoid is firing.

I'm not a GX man, so I could be wrong.
Try [D5000 > K8] or [> D5000 K8]

Edit: Looked at an old manual for Mitsubishi. I see Function 10, Compare Instruction. It outputs 3 bits - Less Than, Equal, and Greater Than.

CMP K8 D5000 M0
> M0 true
= M1 true
< M2 true

Last edited:
It is a little confusing - but that is right.

you can change the compare bits around to get the opposite result
or change the > < around to get the opposite result.

But the instruction you showed us does mean if the value in D5000 is between 0 - 7 the result is true.

Ok, so if I understand this correctly, it's saying that as long as K8 is greater than D5000, the statement is true? It kind of makes sense, but for some reason, I really have to think about it to understand it. Thanks a lot guys for your help, I appreciate it!