SICK barcode scanner/ethernet/compactlogix L43

udtwmc

Hello,

I'm struggling to establish a connection between a SICK handheld barcode scanner over ethernet to a AB compact logix L43 controller (rs logix5000).

Cutting to the chase, I believe II'm missing the 'connection parameters' which are reqquired in rslogix5000 for the 'generic ethernet module' dialog box - i.e assembly instance/sizes etc. Has anyone got experience with setting these SICK handheld scanners to talk to AB controllers over ethernet?

I've tried calling SICK tech support but they've been about as much use to me as a chocolate fireguard!

The details: The SICK handheld scanner (4820iSFE) communicates to one of their connection modules (CDM420) using rs232. The CDM420 has the optional ethernet gateway card (CMF400) fitted and I've configured its parameters (ip address etc) and can ping it via MSDOS.

I've configured the scanner as a 'generic ethernet module' in rslogix5000 and given it the correct ip address and have tried various 'connection parameters' but I'm getting a failed connection. connection request timed out.

Any suggestions most welcome!

cheers guys

I don't have any personal experience to share on the SICK CMF400, unfortunately.

Does SICK even advertise that this is compatible with the ControlLogix, or do they just say it's an "Ethernet TCP/IP" interface ?

Both the Tag read/write and the I/O connections are a ControlLogix-specific implementation of the ODVA "EtherNet/IP" industrial application protocol. The "Generic Module" object is for a device that implements the ODVA Assembly Object, not just any old device with an Ethernet jack and a TCP/IP stack.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me on this one.*

Interesting that you ask the question on compatibility as I've just popped the question myself to SICK * ... all manuals ive read so far only mention/advertise TCP/IP and not Ethernet/ip or CIP protocols. *although I do recall specifically ordering the parts from their sales/tech team based on my using Allen Bradley controllers - I was assured it would work??

I have to be honest and say that I don't have a good understanding of ABradley assembly instances and Ethernet Protocols in general. what is ODVA?*

Cheers

The ODVA is the "Open Device Vendor Association", www.odva.org.

They're the maintainers of the DeviceNet, ControlNet, CompoNet, and EtherNet/IP specifications.

It's pretty common to have vendors unclear on their own fieldbus protocol implementations, unfortunately.

A bridging device or even a 1768-EWEB might be required, in your case. I guess Step 1 is to get Sick to tell you what protocols they run on the Ethernet port.

The CDM420 is TCP/IP not Ethernet I/P. I have used serial to Ethernet I/P converters to connect all of my Sick barcode scanners to my PLCs. You could also connect the scanner directly to the serial port of the L43.