Siemens CP342-5 Profibus Module

Coops

Hello All,

Just want to pick your brains a minute as mine is now dead :)

I have a Siemens 315 PLC and I have a ABB drive (ACQ810) on Profibus working fine connected directly to the PLC however I need to move this to a different network for other reasons. We have installed a CP342-5 Module into the rack and moved the ABB drive to this module creating a new profibus network.

But the damn thing wont work. Any ideas.....the card is in run, it is seen on the network but the card on the ABB drive just wont connect to it. All the settings are the same as previous......is there a compatiability issue with this ABB Drive and the Profibus card as it works fine on the builtin CPU network.

Thanks

It should work. I have used it with our controllers. The CP342-5 requires different blocks to access it.
This may help
http://www.deltamotion.com/peter/S7/Cp342_5_.zip
I haven't looked at this code in years. I do know that it was sending 16 bit words back and forth instead of 32 bit words. Also, I do remember that it is relatively slow since all the data is sent back and forth between the CPU module and CP module over a relatively slow serial bus on the back plane.

What is it that does not work ?
Are all lights green, or is it OK on the 315/CP342-5 but not OK on the ABB ACQ810 ?
Or is it merely that nothing seems to happen ?

Did you do everything in the code to make it work via the CP342-5 ?
Look at this HOWTO:
Some tips regarding Siemens Profibus DP via CP342-5

If there is an error on the CP342-5, then you can also look in the diagnostics buffer in this module (not the diagnostics buffer in the 315 CPU).

OK bit more information.

When i plug the ACQ into the CPU profibus the drive FBA (profibus card) becomes healthy and i can access the drive via PIW and PIQ aeras from the PLC with no problems.

When i do the same on the CP342-5 module with only the drive on there no other nodes are setup either the drive will not connect properly....says its seeing the network but will not connect. The PLC module will see it as a passive device on the network but at the same time through advanced diagnostics say it cant see it. So i'm wondering if its a compatability issue such as DPV0 or DPV1. Ive set the drive to DPV0. Doesnt really matter if the programming is right cause it should connect to the network using just the GSD file in the hardware manager.

Thanks

The PLC module will see it as a passive device on the network but at the same time through advanced diagnostics say it cant see it
What exactly does it say ? Better yet, post a couple of screenshots.

Did you follow the guide I linked to ?
From memory, I think that there was something about that to make the CP352-5 work properly, you must not only use DP_READ, but must also use DP_SEND.

OK, just tried using the DP-Send and DP-Recv blocks and its still the same.

See attachment.

In program the PI address is 570 and the PQ address is 570.

DP-Send address is : W#16#23A
and im using P#M 400.0 BYTE 40 as my send and P#M 500.0 BYTE 40 as my recv.

The abb drive is setup for PPO type 6 and therefore has 20words (40 bytes).

This other ABB drive (i have two) works fine connected directly to the CPU profibus but that is not setup using DP-Send and DP-Recv that just directly uses the PI and PW address.

Thanks

Last edited:
and im using P#M 400.0 BYTE 40 as my send and P#M 500.0 BYTE 40 as my recv.
If you still use the same I/O addresses for the CP342-5 as you did for the integrated DP port, then that wont work.
Read the guide that I linked to !

edit:
Post a screenshot of the HW Config of the CP342-5, and post the code you use for tarnsferring data to and from the CP342-5.

Last edited:
hmmm think im the problem lol....just reading up now.
So according to siemens i have to using dp send & recv against the CP342 address not the slave address and then read/write that data to a DB and then access the data from there?

OK, I have just tried it and the module is now showing healthy on the network ;)

Just got to sort out the addressing and stuff......thanks for all you help Jesper.....i must start writing things down!!!!

CPLADDR is the address of the CP342-5 itself in the S7-300 backplane, not I/O address, and not the DP bus address.

You than transfer the complete Input image (from byte 0 !) configured in the CP342-5 with a DP_READ, and the complete Output image (from byte 0 !) configured in the CP342-5 with a DP_SEND.