Siemens plc issue

James Mcquade

Hi everyone,

Siemens plcs are new to me and i need to upload the program out of several
plcs. I have watched the youtube videos and i am comfortable with the upload process.

i have version 16, 17, and 18 on the laptop.
i created the project, and did my device search and found a plc
at ip address 192.168.1.235 and was able to flash the plc lights.
it is a 1512sp-1 pn processor.
when i try to upload the programs, i get the following error.
please see the attached picture and let me know what i am doing wrong.
thanks in advance,
james

PLC Msg.PNG

Despite the fact that it exists, the Upload feature is fraught with limitations, and is really only "supposed" to be used for disaster recovery, not daily workflow. Siemens REALLY wants you to have a copy of the project, because why wouldn't you? The software upload is pretty much there now that it uploads groups, but the whole station upload to get HW still has limitations.

It looks like you don't have 2 GSD files on your PC that the PLC project uses. First I'd try changing "No Action" to something else to just do it and see what happens. My guess is that you'll have a couple IO devices that look weird, but the PLC code etc will be fine.

2nd I'd try getting your hands on the GSD files you're missing. Not sure if there is someone related to the project you can ask, or if you'd need to reach out to the vendors.

thanks for your reply.
there are no backups /plc files at the plant.
i have gone to the oem for a copy and they will not send it to me.
how do you change the "No Action" option?
i'm at my desk and will have to go to the plc to go online.
regards,
james

thanks for your reply.
there are no backups /plc files at the plant.
i have gone to the oem for a copy and they will not send it to me.
how do you change the "No Action" option?
i'm at my desk and will have to go to the plc to go online.
regards,
james

You should be able to ask ABB and whatever vendor the other GSD file represents for the files, as long as they are generic files (here go build up your own robot communication), and not files specifically generated for this project (here is the exact format this specific robot is using).

If you click "No action", the items in that column are typically a dropdown. I've never seen that specific message before, but generally when something is highlighted in pink like that there's an option to acknowledge. I'm guessing there will be another option like "continue" or "upload anyway".

sigmadelta,
i sent in a request to ADFweb for the info and got their response.

in regards to the software, they said the following:
"You can create the GSDML using our software SW67606 and on step 5 you can click on PROFINET XML. Here you can name the GSDML file and save it on your pc.
Before you can create the configuration with our software and set the IN and OUT bytes. "
What do they mean by IN and OUT bytes?

does anyone have the step 5 file they are talking about?
thanks for your help,
james

sigmadelta,

thank you for the abb info.
i have installed the software and have some questions
in step 2, i set the ip address of the device and the gateway address.
i left the other items as default
WHAT would the baudrate be? i left it at 1000k
in step 3, what would be the info for the receive frames / info receive?
in step 4, what would be the info for the send frames / info send?
i finally figured out step 5
i do apologize, i am a newbe when it comes to Siemens.
thanks for all your help,
james

that's all machine specific information, unfortunately. I'm assuming the baudrate is for the non-Siemens side of the gateway (PN side is almost definitely 100Mb), and send/recieve amount are almost certainly dependent on what it's actually doing.

Is there any way to upload the configuration of the gateway from the gateway?

you'd need to use the ADFweb tool with the ADFweb gateway.

The GSD file just tells the Siemens software what the devices IO config is, it isn't the whole device config.