Siemens Program Documentation Translation

Fitz

We have a new customer who has several S7-400's with programs that are documented in German. They would like us to translate them into English. Is there any easy way to do this, or even relatively easy? Am I stuck with a word by word lookup and translation? Thanks for any insight.

There is no easy way.

I use Google translate text. I was using it this week to support someone in Italy. I have an Italian translator but she wasn't required most of the time.

Google translate text will work for most things but you should still get a German to English translator ( a real person ) to sanity check the results. German and English have idioms or sequences of words that don't translate well.
"What kind of a car is that" translates to "Was für ein Auto ist das?" which if you translate word for word means "What for a car is that?". That blew my away in German class and I will never forget because I missed that on a test. That is when I first became aware of idioms. There is know easy way to translate the idioms and slang. You just need to know them.

BTW, Google translate text got that right.

Thanks Peter. We may try this instead of contracting with someone who knows German. However, it might be good to have someone available to call if we run into a technical term or idiom that doesn't convert in the software.

For fun, I translated "Dude, where's my car?" and it returned "Ey Mann, wo ist mein Auto?".:ROFLMAO:

I also found Yahoo has a similar translator called babelfish.

Fitz said:
I also found Yahoo has a similar translator called babelfish.

Good luck with that, the fish really doesn't do well for technical translation.

I remember a translated article that kept on mentioning something about "harbors". It took me awhile, but I finally realized that it was talking about serial ports. LOL

If nothing else, it'll be funnier than all get out.

Edit: I gotta learn how to proofread...