Siemens S5 Floating Point Format

deyoungkr

Does anyone know where I can find a complete description of the S5 floating point format. I am not a PLC programmer but must interface to a number of S5 PLCs and must convert their internal S5 Floating format to IEEE single precision floating point. I especially need information regarding negative exponent and negative mantissa handling.

Here is the format from a siemens manual v=sign bit:

s5float.JPG

Last edited:
Most PLCs, including Simatic S5 (135U and up) and S7, use the IEEE FP 32-Bit binary memory format to work with REAL numbers:

(-1^s)*(1.f)*(2^e-127) for e=1..254 (normalised numbers) or (-1^s)*(0.f)*(2^-126) for e=0 (denormalised numbers).

Simon, I don't know in what Siemens manual you've found that picture, but that's not what I've found in the on-line help in STEP 7 V5.3. I've attached that info in a PDF file.

Kind regards,