Siemens S7-1200 firmware upgrade

goghie

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Experts,
I would like to make firmware upgrade from v3.0 to v4.5 (S7-1200 CPU 1215C).
Can I do it from v3.0 to v4.5?
Do I need to take some special care?

Thank you.

Best regards.

What is the PLC part number? If I do a version 4 firmware upgrade it tells me that it only applies for version 4 or higher, so I don't think it can be done.

6ES7 215-1AG40-0XB0, that is a version 4, not sure you got version v3.0 firmware on to it. As for anything to watch out for, touch wood, had no problems, except maybe finding the firmware on the Siemens website :). To upgrade, I go to Online and Diagnostic and once online choose firmware upgrade, point it a the unzipped file that I downloaded, and leave the software to get on with it. I have tried to put the wrong firmware on to the wrong PLC and it did stop me.

I think going from v3.x to v4.x is not possible.
Here's a note from a Siemens article/FAQ.
What should you watch out for in STEP 7 (TIA Portal) when replacing an S7-1200 V3 with an S7-1200 V4?

• Entry
  • Associated product(s)
Note
A firmware upgrade of the S7-1200 CPU modules is possible only from V.1x to V2.x. It is not possible to make a firmware upgrade from V2.x to V3.x nor from V3.x to V4.x. The firmware V2, V3 and V4 each require corresponding CPU hardware.