Siemens S7 Classic Peripheral Addressing

zacslade

Hi All,

In Siemens S7 Classic, if I want to find the location of a physical input corresponding to a peripheral address, (say PIW488), how would I go about doing that?

Thanks,

Open the HW config of the Plc and select from menu "View" the address overview, should be the 2nd entry.

Are you really needing peripherial addressing instead of process image area?

(PIW488 <> IW488?)

https://support.industry.siemens.co...ou-need-peripheral-addressing-?dti=0&lc=en-WW

Thanks! Yeah, I'm working on some code that someone else wrote. I'm not sure the rationale behind choosing one or the other of those options, but the machine is quite old, and appears to lack drawings indicating the physical location of a few specific io. That's why I'm trying to work backwards from the code to make sense of it.

Double click on the Hardware container and the h/w config editor will open. Click on the module(s) to show the addresses, e.g.

hw.jpg

I'm not sure the rationale behind choosing one or the other of those options, but the machine is quite old, and appears to lack drawings indicating the physical location of a few specific io.
The most typical use for peripherial addressing is for analog I/O that are only accessed once in the program, when the values of the inputs are converted to or from engineering values.

Other use is for things such as drives that have a larger amount of data (i.e. more than 4 bytes) that must be accessed consistently as a single block. In that case you read or write the entire block by peripherial access by the DPRD_DAT and DPWR_DAT blocks

Yet another use is if the I/O must be read or written instantly for example when they are used in timed interrupt blocks.