Siemens S7 IEC timer multiinstace declaration

Hello!
I intend to use the iec timer SFB4 for alarm blocks. In order not to use up one instance data block for each timer, my intention was to declare the SFB4 as a STAT in the FB from which the SFB instances are called.

However, when I try to declare a STAT of type SFB4, with a data type SFB4, the data type switches from SFB4 to TON and becomes red. This means that the declaration is invalid.

Which error have I made in the declaration? Or is it not possible to declare system function blocks (like SFB4) as multi instances?

The CPU is a S7-314. Step 7 is of version 5.3. Programming is utilized in FBD.

Edit: The block SFB4 appears in Step 7 manager, and I can program it using an instance data block.

Outotec / Per Abrahamsson

Last edited:
You can certainly use SFB4 in the declaration of an FB. I do that regularly.

Maybe it is your symbol list that has gone bad for some reason.
Try to delete SFB4 from your project, and remove the "TON"/SFB4 from your symbol table. Then copy SFB4 anew from the standard library to your project.

Your STEP7 is also a bit old (v5.3). Maybe there is an issue with that.

With the help of a more Siemens-experienced college, the problem was solved. Instead of dragging the SFB from the library, he created an empty box, and then typed "SFB4" into the box. Now it worked!

Something wrong with the library? (Libraries > Standard Library > System Function Blocks > SFB4).