siemens s7 saving on memory card

Dear all kindly help me to understand the significance of saving s7 project on a cpu memory card.

and whether it is a must whenever i make a change on s7 block i have to save to the memory card.

and when i download a block to the cpu does it go to RAM OR EEPROM?

If S7-300, every download sends to the MMC card, and the CPU then automatically transfers the modified block to the RAM memory.

If S7-400, every download sends to RAM memory, and you manually have to do a transfer to MC card.

Can you expand a bit on that. ie. HOW?

I had to change a timer yesterday - nothing serious, just delay recording. It's been down loaded to the RAM. How do I get it onto the MMC?

If the value was a constant in code, then it is already stored on the MMC card.

If the value is stored in variable (Merker or DB), then you have to perform a RAM-to-ROM for the changed value to be saved on the MMC card.

This one.

And if anyone could tell me what the hell Schrittfolge in Automatikfolge means - that would be just great too!

Last edited:
Step sequence in Auto

I may just call on you again.

Still wondering how this organisation could spend roughly $10M building a plant, yet NOT specify in the contract that we need English documentation. Bad enough trying to translate whole words while fault finding, but there's also comments that are abbreviations in German. It's a friggin' nightmare.

It seems that it is a comment in the symbol list.

I suggest you export the symbol list (chose .DIF format), and then scan it manually for untranslated texts.
Highlight any line with untranslated text in red color and send the file to the supplier for translation of the texts.

Then you can import the fixed symbol list with all-english comments.

I suggest you export the symbol list (chose .DIF format), and then scan it manually for untranslated texts.
Highlight any line with untranslated text in red color and send the file to the supplier for translation of the texts.

I assume they CAN translate it. But the question is will they? They left 6 years ago with their payment. They're not under any obligation.

Over our 6 plc's we're talking over a thousand entries. And that doesn't touch many of the electrical drawings, and nearly all of the mechanical drawings. Can't imagine it happening.