Siemens software

Hi everyone, I am an omron plc tec , lately I came across a siemens s7 200 cn plc .
Can someone help me regarding the software required and windows , can I run it on a VM.
I also have a s7 1200 and 1500 ( software and systems)
Thanks will really appreciate feedback

The S7-200 will use "S7 Microwin", which is obsolete.
The S7-1200 and -1500 use TIA Portal. Your local Siemens distributor can help you get the right software.

I suspect MicroWin will run best on a VM with an older OS (like Win XP or maybe Win7). Others on here will have better insight as to its compatibility and what OS is best for it. I would also run Portal in a VM. At my last place (as I recall), we were running Portal v13, 14, and 15 in Windows 7 VMs with no issue.

S7-microwin is for standard s7-200. S7-200 CN is a china/asia only product, because price points or something. Siemens in the rest of the world will pretend it doesn't exist, put their fingers in their ears, and pull the "la la la i can't hear you" routine.

agree on talking to Siemens or local distributor for TIA for 1200/1500.

MicroWin 4.0 SP9 will work on win 7 64bit, and there are some folks claims that it will work on win 10, but personally i have only run it win 7.
But like others said above this is the software you need for S7-200

S7-microwin is for standard s7-200. S7-200 CN is a china/asia only product, because price points or something. Siemens in the rest of the world will pretend it doesn't exist, put their fingers in their ears, and pull the "la la la i can't hear you" routine.

agree on talking to Siemens or local distributor for TIA for 1200/1500.
Probably because the rest of the world doesn't speak Chinese :)

Last I heard or understood is it takes a latest version of MicroWin and or the Chinese character set loaded on windows
something like that...

Last edited:
Yep if it ends in CN its a "Smart PLC" and will only work with Smart software... that said if you look real hard you can find it (your friend Google), as MK said its made and sold for Asia/India

The thing they forgot... China sells machines to the rest of the World, you will also need a Muti Master cable, the standard PPI will not work, we sell them.

Even worse are the HMIs you need the program and it cant be uploaded

Yep if it ends in CN its a "Smart PLC" and will only work with Smart software... that said if you look real hard you can find it (your friend Google), as MK said its made and sold for Asia/India

The thing they forgot... China sells machines to the rest of the World, you will also need a Muti Master cable, the standard PPI will not work, we sell them.

Even worse are the HMIs you need the program and it cant be uploaded
Well
Theres an S7200 Smart and there is an S7200 CN

They are different

The S7200 Smart is more like the S71200

Well

They are different

The S7200 Smart is more like the S71200
now that you mention it, it could be that the smart is the one that Siemens won't touch, and for the CN you play games with languagues/char sets. That rings a bell.

Well
Yep, your right... the 200 CN were phased out in 2017 and the smart (not really) are in their words "cheap" PLCs and you can find the software for the smarts on google

Speaking of s7200… do you sell or heard of an s7200 Ethernet to PPI programming cable? ( must support PPI multi master mode)

I know you have the usb version. I was curious if there is an Ethernet one somewhere

Here is an adapter that supports PPI over Ethernet:
I do not know if that includes multi master mode. You could contact them to ask.