Siemens Step7 program transferring

silva.foxx

Hi all,

I have two Siemens FieldPG laptops connected via a laplink cable (null USB). I want to copy our S7 projects from one laptop to the other. Both have Simatic Manager installed and authorised.

Do I need to Archive each project on the "original" PG before transferring it over the "new" PG and De-archiving?

Will this then take over the comments, etc... too?

Thanks in advance
silva.foxx

It's been a long time since I used LAPLINK, but I would think you could just transfer over the whole S7proj folder without archiving the individual projects. If you do archive them first, the transfer may be a little faster.

If you archive first you will not lose the comments, symbols, ...

Is there no network ports on the PG's? transfer over Ethernet will be substantially faster using a cross over cable than Parallel.

archive it, you'll lose neither comments nor symbols, baically you will lose nothing.

Archiving is really 'zipping' the project.

So faster to transfer.

2 schemes:

Just one or two projects, then use archive to a USB stick. Then you retrieve from the USB stick on the other PC.

Many projects, then doing it en masse via USB or LAN is a better idea. Just copy everything under the s7proj folder from one PC to the other and you have got it all including comments, symbols, connections etc.

If you do transfer the whole S7proj folder then when you go to Simatic Manager and Open you'll find that the 'user projects' folder is empty. Don't panic..

Just click "Browse". You'll then open the browse window which will default to showing you the S7proj folder. Click "Start Search" and all the projects from the S7proj folder will appear in the right hand window.

Select all of them and then click open. When they have all opened just shut them all down again and next time you go to File and Open in Simatic Manager they'll all be there.

This is certainly the case in v5.3 SP3 but not sure if you need to do this in the later version.

For some reason it doesn't 'auto detect' the S7proj folder on startup and only when a project has been opened does it get added to the list in the user projects list..

Good luck..

;-)