Single Ended vs Differential

bodoo23

I actually don't understand which device determines whether the wiring will be single ended vs differential.
being single ended or differential is a property of transmitter or input module (or both) ?
Briefly, I'd like to ask how can I decide which wiring method to use ?

These pictures might help. As far as which wiring methods to use, it seems to depend on if your signals will be in an electrically noisy area.

Edit: These are for Allen-Bradley PLC cards, but the concept should translate.

Single Ended Analog.png Differential Analog.png

As mentioned, differential gives you better noise reduction. With single ended, all the instruments share a common. One noisy signal can make all signals noisy. The single ended/differential is determined by how the input module is configured, and how it is wired. A lot of budget mined folks always use single ended. If possible I steer my clients, to differential. Less potential for issues.