sizing overloads and fuses

mcalidl

I am a young engineer and have a simple question. I am putting a 6KW 3 phase 480 v heater on a size 1 starter. I know this will work on a size 0 but that is not very common around here. I have a question about properly fusing and setting the overloads. What size and how do I go about figuring this out. Which one is instantaneous and which is time delay?

Find yourself a copy of the US electrical code (sorry I don't have one in front of me). Overloads are for motors, you need branch circuit protection for a heater.

You can calculate the current for the heater using the formula.

P=Sqrt3 * EL * IL

IL= 7.3A

Follow the code from there

mcalidl said:
I am a young engineer and have a simple question. I am putting a 6KW 3 phase 480 v heater on a size 1 starter. I know this will work on a size 0 but that is not very common around here. I have a question about properly fusing and setting the overloads. What size and how do I go about figuring this out. Which one is instantaneous and which is time delay?

I do not know about regional dialect but the OP did state size 1 starter; which usually references NEMA motor starters and heaters are a common term for the overload elements. There can be crossover points between starter sizes but all should be relevant to the motors FLA and class for the overload protection.

mcalidl said:

all of the info requested is calculated using the motor nameplate data. The overload may fit physically, but to be properly 'sized' is another matter. The FLA of the motor will determine the size of fuses & overloads required. Instantaneous & time delay uses are as diferent as manuacturers.